Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What fabric stays the warmest next to skin?

Old 10-17-2003, 01:06 PM

Default What fabric stays the warmest next to skin?

I have very warm coats and pants but still get cold because I wear cotton as the first layer.If I sweat the cotton seems to stay damp,then it' s not long before I' m cold.Anyone have any idea' s?Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What fabric stays the warmest next to skin?

100% wool,if you can stand the iching,next best thermal lined underwear/wool blend.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Polyproplene bar none, wicking moisture, light and very warm. You can find it in a variety of weights to suit your situation. Personally I use Helly Hansen light and med...never seen the need for the heavy and we get it purdy cold up here! Top that with Fleece which I find doesn' t hold the moisture like wool and is as warm...you be good to go! I also use polyproplene sock liners with wool socks, my feet sweat like crazy and I never have a problem with cold feet.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look for the long underwear by the name of " Smart Wool" Smart wool long underwear will not make you itch. Smart wool is made from Merino wool. Merino wool is the finest wool there is bar none.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Patagonia capilene, by REI. Better than any I have tried.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to be argumentative, but anyone that thinks wool is more comfortable/efficient than recycled carpet (capilene, " fleece" et al) next to the skin hasn' t tried it (and is fooling themselves).

Go synthetic next to the skin, regardless of temperature.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Polypropylene without a doubt.It wicks moisture away from the skin to prevent that clammy feeling.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-21-2003, 08:22 PM

i use poly somthing, brand doest seem to matterwith thin wool dress pants for most of my hunting, but if you realy want to learn about light and warm talk to some snowboarders,, not skiers,, those folks really muck around in the snoww and you don' t see them stoppin cause their cold ,,,, just my .02
Old 10-24-2003, 08:17 AM

Polypropylene, no question. There is an old saying about being in the outdoors when it' s cold, " COTTON KILLS." Search and rescue teams find dead people in the cold outdoors all of the time, they are usually wearing cotton. Don' t wear cotton in cold weather, period, not for ANY layer. It just holds moisture on your body. At least if poly' or wool gets wet, it still insulates to some extent.

PS- I know some snowboarders that don' t let the cold stop them, but their all about 17 years old, I don' t think that it' s their underwear keeping them going, probably their youth. When I was that age, I could have skied in my boxer shorts and not felt the cold.

Here is a trick to help keep your feet warm. Mine get cold even if I wear poly' socks and wool socks over that, then my boots. Problem is my feet sweat, then get cold. Here' s the trick, spray your clean bare feet with a spray anti-perspirent, especially the soles of your feet. It keeps your feet from sweating and they stay warmer. It really works, try it. I do it every day, even when going to work. (indoors) My socks are much dryer at the end of the day.

Quick Reply: What fabric stays the warmest next to skin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.