Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2016 Mule Deer?

Old 12-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
While I also prefer DIY hunts on public land there is no way I could have done the mule deer hunt in Region G of Wyoming this season without a guide who had good horses and knew the area. It was as close to wilderness that you could get where a guide is required for NRs in Wyoming and no way at my age that I could have even rented a trailer and horses to try a DIY. Therefore, I take exception to the statement about feathers for brains, LOL! PS: I also didn't spend $4K-$5K for the hunt, as it was much less than that after doing a lot of research and finding the right guy, and I also have never had any yearning to hunt in Africa regardless of the price!
I've hunted South Central Wyoming twice and it is a tough hunt. I wouldn't pay $4-5000 for a guide but I would definitely pay $1500 for some "help" if I were to go again. The last time I went we stayed in Encampment/Riverside and hunted out of that area.

Saratoga Safaris is one town up. I saw a few bucks their clients took...dandys!

There's one ranch that we hunted very close to that is $15,000+ for a mulie...
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's supply and demand as long as guys will pay big dollars it will happen, it's just business. What about some big ranches charging outrageous, trespass fees, it all adds to the mix. I talked to one rancher this fall about shooting a doe Antelope, ($48 tag) he wanted a $5000.00 trespass fee. I know ranchers have expenses, i'm self employed too, but man, at that rate the common man can't hunt.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
It's supply and demand as long as guys will pay big dollars it will happen, it's just business. What about some big ranches charging outrageous, trespass fees, it all adds to the mix. I talked to one rancher this fall about shooting a doe Antelope, ($48 tag) he wanted a $5000.00 trespass fee. I know ranchers have expenses, i'm self employed too, but man, at that rate the common man can't hunt.
Now that rancher would be one of those in the category that flags mentioned that has feathers for brains, LOL! Many ranchers don't charge anything to hunt doe antelope, especially after the opening week crowd has departed.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes TG, i think so lol. We found a nice old rancher that charged nothing and said shoot all the "prairie maggots" you want.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
I talked to one rancher this fall about shooting a doe Antelope, ($48 tag) he wanted a $5000.00 trespass fee.
I've never had a rancher anywhere want to charge me a trespass fee of a doe antelope or even a doe deer in either CO or WY. Trophy bucks are another story since many ranches are leased by outfitters but all the ranchers I know don't give 2 thoughts to does. Cow elk may cost a bit, although I've never paid a trespass fee for those either.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only know one land owner near me. He has a sign on his gate that says........Welcome Hunters. Anybody can hunt there for free, and they do. It's more crowded than the surrounding public land.

I never could figure out why so many hunt it when the game has run onto the public land to get away from them. I hunted the public land that was next to it one year, and never saw another hunter. No complaints from me. I loved it.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm assuming that $5k doe antelope fee is the

"You can't hunt here fee" but if you're dumb or rich enough to give me $5k I'd let you hunt here.