Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Landowner tags

Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 AM
Spike

Default Landowner tags

I was thinking of going he landowner tag next year and wanted to know anyone's opinion of them. Pros or cons ?

Also, does buying a landowner tag normally include access to hunt the landowners property ?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

It would help to know what state and what animal you're thinking about. It also varies from state to state and within a state as to where the tag is good for. Wyoming is out because they don't allow the transfer of tags. The best states to look at would be NM, CO, and UT for elk, deer and antelope.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not sure he knows what a landowner tag is from the question.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I am not sure he knows what a landowner tag is from the question.
Not really. For years CO issued landowner tags in the form of vouchers that landowners could sell but there was no requirement the landowner actually allow them to hunt in their property. The landowners then sold them to outfitters who either leased land or hunted adjacent public land. They closed that loophole a few years back and now don't allow them to be sold to 3rd parties for resale and require landowners to grant access. Not sure how other states work it though.

Last edited by flags; 08-05-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 08-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

In IL I believe the only difference is landowner permits are free and only valid on property you own/rent.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
In IL I believe the only difference is landowner permits are free and only valid on property you own/rent.
Can a landowner in IL give or sell his tags to a resident or nonresident hunter, rather than use them himself and how many can a landowner get? Is it based on acreage?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Can a landowner in IL give or sell his tags to a resident or nonresident hunter, rather than use them himself and how many can a landowner get? Is it based on acreage?

I'm no expert as I am not eligible. I have some buddies that get them.

Like I said as far as I know the are pretty much the same as regular tags except they are free.

They are not transferable and you have to own/lease/rent at least 40 acres for agricultural use(hunting lease won't work) and you are allowed 4 total permits 2 firearm and 2 archery.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks! I thought that was about how it worked. If they could transfer tags, I'd bet that Pike County would really be overwhelmed with nonresidents who would pay a fortune to hunt those big bucks there. Having to draw the limited tags offered at least keeps some order in place there.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 08-05-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Thanks! I thought that was about how it worked. If they could transfer tags, I'd bet that Pike County would really be overwhelmed with nonresidents who would pay a fortune to hunt those big bucks there. Having to draw the limited tags offered at least keeps some order in place there.

Oh I think they sell as many as they can.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Oh I think they sell as many as they can.
If they could sell as many as the public wanted, I believe it would be an OTC free for all and not a draw!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.