Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2015 CO deer tag

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default 2015 CO deer tag

Well, I just got done applying for my 2015 CO deer tag. I decided to see if my 14 preference points will get me the RFW tag for the Purgatoire Ranch in Southeast CO. I'm still officially a CO resident so I can apply for the RFW tags. As a second choice I put in for a doe tag in the late plains season in unit 102 and a season specific doe tag for the same unit as my 3rd choice. Even if the first 2 don't come through, I should get the 3rd. I have access to a little over 10,000 acres in Yuma county along the Republican River so picking up a nice fat doe there isn't too difficult.

Anybody else apply yet? I'll probably just put in for preference points for everything else since it looks like time may be a little tight this fall.

Last edited by flags; 03-09-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I thought you were waiting to draw a tag for unit 2?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Will apply for a unit 83 buck tag. I have 4 points and about a 60% chance to draw as a NR.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I thought you were waiting to draw a tag for unit 2?
That's for elk. Problem is I don't think I'll have enough time to hunt that unit properly and I hate to burn 20 elk points under those circumstances. When I hunt unit 2 I want to be there at least a week before the season starts and be able to hunt the full season and I can't do that this fall. So I'll just put in for an elk preference point to keep them building up.

The ranch I applied for the deer tag on is only about a 7 hr drive from where I am working in TX, so it is an easier hunt for me. Hopefully it will produce a good heavy buck for the freezer. If not, I'll pop a doe on the Yuma county ranch in the late season.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I missed the deer comment and should have known that it wasn't for elk, as I recall you saying you had like 20 PPs for elk. Hard to believe you could get there in that amount of time from north of Dallas with very little if any freeway going nw up toward Trinidad! In fact, MapQuest shows it's 10 hours give or take a few minutes, but that still is really an easy day's drive and less than I go on my first day heading to Wyoming from up here!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-09-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I missed the deer comment and should have known that it wasn't for elk, as I recall you saying you had like 20 PPs for elk. Hard to believe you could get there in that amount of time from north of Dallas with very little if any freeway going nw up toward Trinidad!
Don't have to go the Trinidad route. I can take 287 up through Amarillo and go pretty much straight north from there. Wide open country until Lamar, CO and then turn West. Purgatoire Ranch is before you go as far west as Trinidad. Closer to La Junta and Kim. Amarillo is less than 2 hrs to the CO border. Easy drive.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't been over that way toward the ranch. The closest would have been coming down the back roads through Limon from up in Wyoming when I went down to hunt in the Gila a few years. I had a lot of time and went all the way down on 2 lane highways until I had to hit the freeway at Trinidad to go through the pass. I then went over through Taos and Sante Fe before heading down south through NM to where we hunted. That was a really nice trip taking my time and being able to pull off the roads to look at animals or scenery unlike when you're on the freeways.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I put in for a muley buck tag. I have 1 point which gives me about a 95% chance. We'll see.

I always use a private land doe tag as a 2nd pick just to get some meat if the buck tag fails.

I retired from elk hunting, and my present .45 Kentucky style muzzy isn't legal to hunt elk anyway.

I was also thinking about an antelope tag. Trying to get close enough for my crappy vision, and primitive sights on the Kentucky should be a challenge. I'm getting kind of old to be crawling on my belly for 200 yds. So, not sure about it yet.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I put in for a muley buck tag. I have 1 point which gives me about a 95% chance. We'll see.

I always use a private land doe tag as a 2nd pick just to get some meat if the buck tag fails.

I retired from elk hunting, and my present .45 Kentucky style muzzy isn't legal to hunt elk anyway.

I was also thinking about an antelope tag. Trying to get close enough for my crappy vision, and primitive sights on the Kentucky should be a challenge. I'm getting kind of old to be crawling on my belly for 200 yds. So, not sure about it yet.
Hey Pete! You need to get you one of those antelope hats and suits they sell now to sneak up on those crafty ole antelope bucks, LOL! I'm surprised somebody hasn't got shot yet wearing one of those things!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be the first if I tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.