Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any of you folks chase wapiti?

Old 12-26-2014, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter

I've been wearing that one out. What you miss on websites are the "little things" that experienced guys can tell.

Mind you, I'm not wanting to know exactly where the place to go is but rather where is the water deep enough to jump off the ledge....catch what I'm saying?

Like here in Alabama. If someone were asking me about turkey hunting and where to go. I can with pretty good certainty tell you which places would be good starting points. I can't hold your hand and take you to "The Spot", cause it doesn't exist in turkey hunting, but I can steer you the right way.

The little things...."Make sure you bring duct tape","Cloudy days are better/worse than clear days"....you know.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
I may not be a smart man, but I know what elk addiction is! Unfortunately is not in Greenbough ALABAMA. LOL.

You need to do it! A million things to consider, but you will be glad you made the decision. The best advice I can give you is to figure out a likely place (or a couple of them) and take a "family" vacation there this summer and do some scouting. Won't be as rushed and can take some time to look things over, and enjoy some beautiful country. Makes some brownie points with a girlfriend/wife too if such is in the picture. I take mine every summer and she sleeps in while I go on scouting trips. We both get what we want out of it and we both look forward to it.

Wait just a dang minute....is that a Forrest Gump reference? lol
Old 12-26-2014, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Good idea. We did take a vacation a couple years ago driving from the Denver airport, up to Cody, Yellowstone, down to Jackson, Zion, Grand Canyon, back up through Cortez, Salida, and Breckenridge before spending a few night near the Green Mountain Reservoir near Silverthorne. Never got to scout anything but that trip got my fever up.
My wife likes to sleep in. I am at a trailhead at daylight and am back by the time she has had her first cup of coffee. Of course, she likes to fish and that helps!

Here are a couple of pointers.

1) when you hike in the mountains, you will sweat, so you will need a good base layer. Its job is not to keep you warm but to transfer sweat moisture to the outer layers to evaporate. so I usually get what is referred to as a "medium" base layer. Merino wool is the best, but some good polypropylene is OK. Never ever use cotton.
However merino wool (at least 70%) is the only way to go with socks

2) Good well broke in boots with good support. If your feet aren't happy, you will not cover enough country

3) Good rain gear. The only raingear I carry is packable. I have other layers to keep me warm, and I can keep the raingear in my daypack unless it rains. Goretex in an insulated layer in my mind is not advised because regardless of what they say, it ain't that breathable.

4) If you will be camping out, invest in a good quality sleeping bag. 20 degree for the earlier seasons. 0 for the later ones. If you spend one cold night, you would pay any amount of money.... Also, a good ground pad makes all the difference in a good nights sleep.

Elk are generally not dispersed throughout the country. They are in only 10-20% of the area and you have to find that area. That means a lot of boot leather until you see fresh sign. Then slow down and hunt.

As far as where? That is THE question. If money is not an issue, the easiest tag to get these days is Montana. But starting at $850 and up, it is too far to go for that price. There is a "drawing" but at that price there tend to be left over tags up until the season opens.

Wyoming. I hear lots of good things, but have never hunted there and you have to learn the point system.

Colorado. Has more land above 10,000 ft than all other states combined, so holds a lot of elk and has over the counter tags. That said, I recommend the muzzleloading season or the first rifle which are both drawing only.

If there is a Rocky Mountain Elk foundation chapter anywhere close to your area, you might want to join up and go to their banquet. You might make a connection with a hunting partner

You might want to consider start putting in for points in Colorado and Wyoming. Not sure when Wyoming is but Colorado opens about march 1st and closes shortly after April 1st

Last edited by txhunter58; 12-26-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Solid stuff tx. I spent a few nights on a tent floor in 20 degree weather and know how miserable that can be. I know it sounds funny but 20 degrees in Alabama just feels colder than 20 degrees in a drier climate.

I also know what you mean about getting good boots. I turkey hunt HARD and put in a lot of miles on boots. Nothing worse than getting blisters.

A big part of me just wants to get out in the wild and spend this first hunt as a learning experience.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

"You might want to consider start putting in for points in Colorado and Wyoming. Not sure when Wyoming is but Colorado opens about march 1st and closes shortly after April 1st "

The PP application period for Wyoming is 7/1-9/30.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"You might want to consider start putting in for points in Colorado and Wyoming. Not sure when Wyoming is but Colorado opens about march 1st and closes shortly after April 1st "

The PP application period for Wyoming is 7/1-9/30.

How would you compare the two states? How accessible is Wyoming compared to Colorado?

I know the trophy potential is greater in Wyoming. Don't Non-Res need outfitters in Wyoming?
Old 12-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
How would you compare the two states? How accessible is Wyoming compared to Colorado?

I know the trophy potential is greater in Wyoming. Don't Non-Res need outfitters in Wyoming?
To hunt bull elk in Wyoming you'll pretty well need a PP or two for even a General tag that allows you to hunt in quite a few units around the state. Cow tags are pretty easy to draw though and they aren't under a PP system, but strictly a random draw where everyone is equal. No, NRs only need an outfitter or a resident with a G&F permit that allows them to take up to two NRs in designated wilderness areas. The biggest of the wilderness areas is around Yellowstone on down south of there and up in the BigHorn Mountains in northcentral Wyoming. Elk hunting is great now throughout many areas of the state, but there are no OTC tags like Colorado offers.