Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I need a little help

Old 12-25-2014, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default I need a little help

I am going elk hunting in Colorado by Victor the town on Phantom Canyon Rd. A buddy bought some land there. Is there a lot of elk there?
Old 12-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Look into the Table Mountain State Trust Land. Its in the area you're talking about and holds a fair number of elk I'm told.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

Alot of the area next to victor or cripple cree will be private. if you can venture east then head down old stage road and you can find a couple nice spots where there are definitly elk. seen a couple nice 5x5 and a 6x6 in that area on public land. another area close to you would be to the south accross highway 50 coaldale cotopaxi howard. all those little towns have roads that head back up into the sttepest stuff colorado has to offer. Every gmu in colorado has elk you just have to find them. But yes they are there.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

For you new guys on here, IMHO it's best to put information like that in a PM, rather than right out in the Forums for the whole world to read. There are a lot of lazy people lurking on the websites that put nothing into a site and try to get everything they can without helping anyone else out.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dan87

Originally Posted by dan87bh
Alot of the area next to victor or cripple cree will be private. if you can venture east then head down old stage road and you can find a couple nice spots where there are definitly elk. seen a couple nice 5x5 and a 6x6 in that area on public land. another area close to you would be to the south accross highway 50 coaldale cotopaxi howard. all those little towns have roads that head back up into the sttepest stuff colorado has to offer. Every gmu in colorado has elk you just have to find them. But yes they are there.
I am new at elk hunting. I shot a lot of big buck and turkeys with my bow. Do you no when the best date to go for the rut? For bow hunting
Old 12-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Bow hunt i normally have the best luck last week of archery(september). But im normally at 12,800ft jumping sheep while elk hunting. lol. I also draw for 1st season in the same area i bow hunt that way if i dont get nothing while bowhunting i use it as a long scouting trip for first season.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:25 AM
Banned

purty much the entire month of sept they are rutting. I prefer early sept before the big bulls round up a hierom of cows and would rather fight then round up their cows and run. jmo.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

What kidoggy said! Later after the better bulls get with their cows it's just about impossible to get at them or pull them away with a cow call. The smaller satellite bulls will usually come in for a "freebie" though!