Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

a little help with Colorado preference point system

Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

To be honest. I don't know. In 60 years of elk hunting Colorado i've never bought a point. I always put in for the draw.

I'd suggest you call the number I posted in this thread. They'll have the answer, and are glad to help.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

also, is there an advantage to the first week of rifle over the other weeks as far as a hunting perspective?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
To be honest. I don't know. In 60 years of elk hunting Colorado i've never bought a point. I always put in for the draw.

I'd suggest you call the number I posted in this thread. They'll have the answer, and are glad to help.
thank you i will
Old 12-23-2014, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
also, is there an advantage to the first week of rifle over the other weeks as far as a hunting perspective?
The 1st rifle season can catch the end of the rut, and they'll be less hunters. So, it's a better season to hunt. However, as I mentioned it's only a 5 day hunt compared to the other rifle seasons that are 9 days.

Less hunters is relative though. You picked a very popular unit, and it's crowded for all seasons. It's also a fairly tough unit to hunt terrain wise. You'll be climbing some high altitudes to get away from the other hunters.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

In CO, PPs are bought each year for the species and you can use them for whatever you want to (cow or bull) when the time comes to apply for an actual tag unless they have changed things.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

The 1st rifle season can catch the end of the rut, and they'll be less hunters. So, it's a better season to hunt. However, as I mentioned it's only a 5 day hunt compared to the other rifle seasons that are 9 days.

Less hunters is relative though. You picked a very popular unit, and it's crowded for all seasons. It's also a fairly tough unit to hunt terrain wise. You'll be climbing some high altitudes to get away from the other hunters.
i imagine thats where the elk are though. i will be working on getting used to the elevation way before going.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get in the best shape you can. It will make the hunt much more enjoyable.

Make sure everybody does the same thing. One guy out of shape can drag down the whole group.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Get in the best shape you can. It will make the hunt much more enjoyable.

Make sure everybody does the same thing. One guy out of shape can drag down the whole group.
i know. im the youngest in the group at 31 and ( not trying to toot my horn) but in the best shape. everyone else is in their 50s and in ok shape. one guy isn't and im pretty nervous about him. trying to get them together to jog is like pulling teeth
Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bikerman9967
i know. im the youngest in the group at 31 and ( not trying to toot my horn) but in the best shape. everyone else is in their 50s and in ok shape. one guy isn't and im pretty nervous about him. trying to get them together to jog is like pulling teeth
Nothing you'll do will get you used to the altitude out there. Go out at least a couple days early to get used to it and it will help. Also, read up on altitude sickness and it's warning signs so you'll know what is happening before it's too late and can get out of Dodge quickly if it hits.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Nothing you'll do will get you used to the altitude out there. Go out at least a couple days early to get used to it and it will help. Also, read up on altitude sickness and it's warning signs so you'll know what is happening before it's too late and can get out of Dodge quickly if it hits.
from what i understand its altitude sickness is major dehydration correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.