Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

a little help with Colorado preference point system

Old 12-23-2014, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

What season are you hunting? Weapon?

I live next to 55, and can help if you'd just give us all the details.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

this is a group of 8 including myself going first week of rifle season in 2017 for bull elk. i believe its the second week of October but im not sure of the first week that year. im not the one planning this, im just trying to dig up information so i know whats going on. the guy who has been doing all the planning isn't very good with his communication and tends to not tell us what going on until the last minute.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

You all have no points? Anybody willing to hunt for a cow?

You do realize if you could wait another week you can get an OTC bull tag?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You all have no points? Anybody willing to hunt for a cow?

You do realize if you could wait another week you can get an OTC bull tag?
we have no points. like i said, im not planning this , i was just invited to go along. i know nothing about Colorado hunting at all and have never been out west. just trying to arm myself with information because im usually last in the group to be told whats going on. i have no idea if anyone wants to hunt a cow, just a guess im going to say no , but again its just a guess
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, here's the deal. You have about an 80% chance of drawing a bull tag in 55 for 1st rifle season.

That means that they offered 280 tags last year, and 342 hunters applied for them. That's 62 hunters that failed. I never put in for any draw with those lousy odds. You may get lucky.

You'll have to pay the price for a bull tag to apply for this. If you fail you get a point to use for the following year, and most of your money back.

To compare you would have a 100% chance to get a cow tag in the draw, and only pay for a cow tag when you apply.

The 1st rifle hunt is only 5 days long. If you put in for it as a group. You'll also fail in the draw as a group. Nobody hunts.

This is what I would suggest to you guys. Put in for the bull tag in 1st rifle as a group. If you fail buy an OTC bull tag for 2nd rifle season. That way you all get a point, and you all get to hunt for a bull for 2nd season.

The 2nd season is a 9 day hunt.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, here's the deal. You have about an 80% chance of drawing a bull tag in 55 for 1st rifle season.

That means that they offered 280 tags last year, and 342 hunters applied for them. That's 62 hunters that failed. I never put in for any draw with those lousy odds. You may get lucky.

You'll have to pay the price for a bull tag to apply for this. If you fail you get a point to use for the following year, and most of your money back.

To compare you would have a 100% chance to get a cow tag in the draw, and only pay for a cow tag when you apply.

The 1st rifle hunt is only 5 days long. If you put in for it as a group. You'll also fail in the draw as a group. Nobody hunts.

This is what I would suggest to you guys. Put in for the bull tag in 1st rifle as a group. If you fail buy an OTC bull tag for 2nd rifle season. That way you all get a point, and you all get to hunt for a bull for 2nd season.

The 2nd season is a 9 day hunt.
thank you. now, we have 2 years to build up points. if each of us get 2 points over the next 2 years , will that work for definite draw? ( baring any major changes to how many tags they give out)
Old 12-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, your odds then will be a 100% chance of getting the tags.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, your odds then will be a 100% chance of getting the tags.
thank you for all of your help.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad to help, and I would have liked to do it sooner, but I wasn't sure exactly what you were trying to do.

You're on the right track now. Make sure the group gets the points bought before April each year.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Glad to help, and I would have liked to do it sooner, but I wasn't sure exactly what you were trying to do.

You're on the right track now. Make sure the group gets the points bought before April each year.
that's what we plan on doing. now again i asked this before, but it doesn't matter which tag your buying, either bull or cow when sending in for just a point correct? only time it matters is when your actually sending in for the tag that year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.