Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

deer hunting in the ruby mountains

Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Spike

Default deer hunting in the ruby mountains

I hunt the ruby mountains every year you can only hunt certain parts because the ranches have got most of it blocked off it is BLM land behind them they have blocked off BLM land how can they get away with it
Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Ranchers wrote the laws.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
Ranchers wrote the laws.
***LOL, that's good one! Actually there are millon of acres of landlocked public lands all over the western states and unless you get access through the private lands you are screwed! The landowners basicly have all that land at their disposal like it's their own property. Many even think they own the accessible public land just because they pay for the grazing rights, so if you don't know your rights they may try to bluff you into leaving. That's where the GPS landowner chips really come in handy.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Some of it goes back to railroad land grants when the federal government was trying to encourage settlement of the west in the 1800s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checkerboarding_(land)
Land out west was plentiful and was not at a premium until recently, as the population grows and more people want to use public land and it becomes more and more crowded, it would not surprise me to see the government (state, federal, or local) work to provide access to bigger sections of public land by negotiating easements (backed up by the threat of eminent domain). Historically, that has happened in the east more with water access.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Spike

i tried to get access the only way ranch that i found the would try and help wanted 2500 per person and it would be 3 people i am not going to pay that type of money for a meat deer
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

I watched a tv show where a guy had a helicopter drop him and his son off on some BLM ground that was inaccessible due to being surrounded by private land. They both killed nice 6-Point bulls. He said the cost was more reasonable than you'd think... I'd rather pay for a helicopter than pay a landowner an access fee to land we should have a right to hunt....
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

couldn't you helicopter in?