Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Quartermaster

Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Quartermaster

One of the disadvantages of camping just off of the forest road and then doing a spike camp further back in is that it is easy to go just a little heavy on the stuff for the " main camp" . Ah, but comfort does allow one to endure the elements, rest up, and go hit it again the next day....

This photo is from what we call " drag out day" when we " round up" everything from my stuff and those others contributing to Elk Camp prior to the actual " packing up day" . This way when the crew and the trailer show up and its time to " head for the hills" then it' s all " right there" (no hunting around).

We leave this coming Friday for a week of setup and scouting with the opening day of the season on the 11th.

Good luck with your hunts.

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 10-01-2003, 01:27 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: Quartermaster

[]My gosh! And my husband thinks I pack alot for my season! LOL! I' ll have to show him this picture! What are the things rolled up in the middle of the picture? They look like Oriental rugs...please say they' re not!
I leave on the 17th for 17 days. Seven days of elk hunting and the rest blacktail. I also have tags for bear and cougar and there are plenty of grouse and quail, so I' ll have plenty to do!
Good luck to you on your hunt!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:42 PM

I can see why a person would be unhappy when people don' t hang around to help tear down camp.
It looks like you are throwing up a small city with all that gear.
Good luck on your hunts.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bet alot of pepole stop by for the Garage sale
Old 10-01-2003, 04:37 PM

HuntingGirl,
Ouch, a picture tells all! Alas, it is true. My wife, the camp chef, picks them up at garage sales. She demands that in exchange for 2 weeks of camp life and being the camp chef (literally) that we have the " dormatory" portion of the wall tent heated and that there be a nice warm cushy floor so the 16x20 is " carpeted" from one end to the other -- I gotta admit it is kinda nice! So that little pile of rugs is a cheap price to pay for services received!

Noway,
Yes, slackers especially the type that show up late and run away to Denver early are a pet peeve of mine and are never invited back. Oddly enough, for the most part out of state hunters are my favorite -- they are a bit more dedicated!

BBJ,
Funny you should mention that. It was a Friday and Fri/Sat are the traditional garage sale days in Denver. Luckily, I live in a cul de sac and there were no signs so " attendence" was a little bit low. Interestingly, all the inquisitors were men -- trash truck drivers (no negocios, nada); UPS guy, the mail man, and the FedEx guy.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:04 PM
Matriarch Doe!

HuntingGirl,
Ouch, a picture tells all! Alas, it is true. My wife, the camp chef, picks them up at garage sales. She demands that in exchange for 2 weeks of camp life and being the camp chef (literally) that we have the " dormatory" portion of the wall tent heated and that there be a nice warm cushy floor so the 16x20 is " carpeted" from one end to the other -- I gotta admit it is kinda nice! So that little pile of rugs is a cheap price to pay for services received
LOL! Okay, I' ll hold back any ribbing I was going to give you! I think we can all understand the importance of keeping " the other half" happy!
Old 10-02-2003, 01:04 AM

HuntingGirl,

My wife is a real sport and has been my adventure mate for more than 25 years, and you are right -- it pays to keep the Mrs. happy!

Speaking of adventure, we did the camp grocery shopping (most of it anyway) --- we left at 430pm and got back at 930pm! 7 hunters plus chef for 12 days --- the grocery bill (Sam' s Club, Costco, and King Soopers) was $657.23 and it pretty well filled up the back of my Expedition. Of course it wasn' t all food related --- TP and Wet Ones while not edible are a real comfort in the elk woods as you can go home just as fresh as when you arrived!

Remind me again why I like doing this. I guess some folks were born to plan and pack. Elk season hasn' t even started yet and the love/hate and pleasure/work " lines" are already getting blurred.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

Old 10-02-2003, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

EKM I know how you feel and your wife,I also am the packer and the cooker.I only do it for 4 wich makes it easy.We hunt two weeks in the mountains the first week and the last week.We take a modified camper,wich makes the tenting easier.I still end up doing the food lists and preperation.It is all for the love of the hunt.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I sure wouldn' t mind being invited to that camp.
Maybe I can use my frequent flyer miles for a discount.

Mine ain' t so elaborant. Tent, dutch oven and coolers.
Yours looks Top Shelf.

Brad
Old 10-03-2003, 08:43 AM

Brad,
Thank you for the compliment. Of course with any elk camp, they key is to have it comfortable enough for one' s purposes so that you can recharge enough to go " hit ' em" again the next day. Never was patient enough for the Dutch Oven thing but had some wonderful stuff served up out of them by those who are.

In General,
We are loading up this morning and heading out today. Everyone in our group either helps with the set up or the take down, or for a select few -- both. Set up Saturday, touch up on Sunday plus cut some firewood, then " everyone" goes home (except the wife and myself). The next three days are the " best" days of the whole trip -- high reward/low effort. The wife and I scout through the week, then folks arrive back in on Thursday (banquet night), we marshall the troops on Friday, tuck them to bed " early" Saturday night and then " attack" at an ungodly hour Saturday morning.

Trying a spike camp this year -- first time errors ought to add to the " story supply" ; I know doing a spike camp has already added to the budget.

Good Luck On Your Wapiti Hunts,

EKM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.