Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Quartermaster

Old 10-30-2003, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Quartermaster

Yeah, it' s a lot, but we love having the comforts of home, plus for " roughing it" we have the " spike camp" about 4 miles back in.

Here is our elk camp (in part) once it is set up....

and here is a quick shot of the kitchen area....

and some of you asked what all it took to get it up there, these three vehicles....

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 10-31-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ELKampMaster
Are thoose two 16' x 20' tents butted up against each other at base camp?
Also what did you use for tents in your spike camp? How many people were in your spike camp?

Old 10-31-2003, 04:30 PM

Wolf Killer,

We have a 16x20 canvas wall tent butted up to a 16x32 steel frame which in turn is lined with 6 mil visquene shell and held down snug with a poly tarp with wall tent ropes and stakes, end caps are either canvas or poly (canvas is best).

Spike camp was a jerry rigged deal, it was a 9' x 11' three season dome tent centered between two trees with a high rope between the two trees for a " ridge pole" and then a 16 x 24 brown tarp thrown up and over the whole works and nailed down to act as a second fly and to hide it -- didn' t seem right to be out elk hunting in a bright blue and yellow tent (plus ANY tent is a better tent under a tarp). Heat was from a Mr. Heater Buddy Heater which is less than ideal because they are erratic over 7000' ASL, but they won' t gas you! The buddy heater and the water heater ran off of a half full 20 # propane bottle. Stocked the camp with food which you either ate " as is" or all you did was add hot water. (Even if it had been warm, it seemed a crime not to have a six pack of beer for the end of the day.)

The original plan was not to use the spike camp more than 2 or 3 nights (or as a place to warm up during the day) and that it would not have more than 2 or 3 people in it at a time.

Out of six hunters, I figured no more than 2 or 3 would want/need to stay in the spike camp; however, the way the afternoon/night before the season went (got lost--couldn' t believe it) and the way the first day went (up at 1:00 a.m. and still killing elk at 3:00 p.m.) we ended up with all of us sleeping there the night of the first day of the season -- which is a subject of a later story. It did provide us with a handy, though not perfect " ace in the hole." Since I hit the point of " near exhaustion" late afternoon on opening day and didn' t want to tackle a trail in the dark that had proven itself a bit tricky unless I was " on my game" , it was a " card" I was glad we could play --- otherwise we would have left the field too early and my son would not have gotten his 6x6!

The following night (Sunday) two hunters spent the night there and indicated it was a comfy set up and being able to sleep more and walk less was a real plus! They added another cow elk to the tally Sunday (season day #2).

Never Go Undergunned, Always Check The Sight In, Perform At Showtime,
EKM
Old 10-31-2003, 11:39 PM

EKM, Good to hear that everything went well. Except the getting lost part. You have more gear at your camp than I did at my first house.