Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Quartermaster

Old 10-06-2003, 04:54 AM

Default RE: Quartermaster

ELKampMaster , 657.23 for 7 days ? Wow ya' ll must eat like kings. Last year our bill for 4 guys 10 days was only 120. We eat the basics, eggs, potatoes, bacon, lunch meats bread coffe, burger, etc... We also prepare 4 meals ahead of time and just freeze them. Then after the hunt if are all getting in late....ie packing out late. We just through one of the frozen meals on the stove and give it 15 mins. We all bring our own snacks, drinking water etc.. .
Old 10-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

EKM ...I am at a complete loss for words....I almost want to feel sorry for the Elk herd you " Attack" ... Hope you and the group did well and everyone filled their tag(s).
Old 10-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, the carpeting makes a world of difference. We set up a 16' x32' army tent that we carpet the whole thing, it' s nice to come back to camp and kick off the boots each night. We also made an indoor shower for camp, used a hand powered weed sprayer, some pvc to hold up shower curtain, dig a small hole and insert rocks, and put wooden grate over the hole, and 1 gal of hot water and 1 gal of creek water, makes for a nice shower every other day or so. We also use all propane heat, light, and cooking. We don' t heat the tent at night, so ya best have a good sleeping bag. We eat, sleep, and hang out in the tent. Sleeps about 7 with dining table, cooking table, and foldable table and shelves to store food in/on. Comfort is the only way to keep the body hunting hard for 6 days. Our camp load looks much like EKM' s.
Old 10-07-2003, 04:28 PM

Dang!
If I had a camp set up like that one, maybe my ol' lady would be interested in coming with me on my hunts!

Unfortunately, My hunting is generally done as a weekend warrior. But this allows me to have a smaller camp setup.

A tip for you weekend warriors like me:
I hate having to cook my food then have the clean-up mess, plus the smell of bacon in the morning seems to attract all sorts of critters to camp when I' m out hunting. I have found a great way to avoid the " camp mess" . I pre-cook all my meals before the hunt then seal them with my vacuum sealer bags (these bags are made to go from the freezer to boiling water). I then pop them in the freezer. When packing for the hunt, I grab as many of my " forzen entree' s" as needed. When in camp, I simply boil water and plop the entree in the pot. Once heated, I eat it out of the bag and dispose of the rest. The heated water is also ready for my instant coffee!

Happy Hunting!
Old 10-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

When spending a long time in camp theres nothing like the comforts of home !!!!!!!!!!!!

trouthunter , some great information there. Do you find some meals work better than others doing that?
Old 10-07-2003, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don, I liked what the main courses usually were on our trip, caribou, antelope, moose, elk, deer, black bear.....

That' s how our hunts usually go, lots of wild game brought along to fill us up. I was pretty impressed by the camp that Robert and Don had set up on the elk hunt in Montana last Sept. About as lush as it gets for me!

Old 10-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Woah []
Old 10-08-2003, 08:23 AM

Don-

I have found that it is easier to seal dryer foods. Obviously, this method won' t work well on a runny stew or soup, which will just make a mess and may clog your sealer.

I found that a scrambled egg goolosh (eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, etc.) is easy to make and seal up. I used this for my breakfast and even wrapped it in a tortilla for breakfast burrito. They sealed great and came out fresh.

I' ve done foods like steak and potatoes to hamberger helper. It really just depends on your personal tastes. Once again, use a dryer or thick sauced food. If I get it a little runny, I put a second seal on the bag to make sure.

I usually just take an evening or two before season and cook a veriety of food I like. I then seal it all up, and I have it ready for camp when needed. If I have any extra later, I just take it to work as leftovers

Happy Hunting
Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the insight there Trouthunter. I have been tossing around the idea of getting one of them sealers.

Artic, im not sure anyone has eaten as good as we did last year. I myself was the lucky one with you bringing Moose, Bear, Caribou, Halibut, Salmon, and Robert bringing Antelope, Elk, Deer........ and im sure i missed something. One heck of a base camp with great food, great company, and memories that will last forever............
Old 10-08-2003, 04:25 PM

Don-

A sealer is worth it' s weight when it comes to just packaging your game for the freezer! It beats the heck out of paper wrappers, and cuts the pachaging time in half. Another advantage is you can see the meat in the package, so you know if it' s the one you want for supper that night.

Besides sealing food, you can seal up an emergency kit for your hunting pack, clothing, matches and tinder, etc.

It' s a good investment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.