Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Opening Day Pronghorn

Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening Day Pronghorn

This morning this goat fell to the 6.5-30 AKA 6.5 BRM. Load was 120g Ballistic Tip, 37.5g H4350. Rifle is EABCO model 97D standard. First time i saw these animal, i was driving a grown over section line trail. Stopped the truck, and glassed them; off they ran. They were on private land, so i couldn't hunt them, but it seemed possible they headed toward state land. Some time later i spotted them from the county road, on state land, and drove on by, pretending i didn't see them; they seemed nervous. I kinda figured they were on the move. Parked the truck out of sight, and walked kinda away from them, and then toward to where i guessed they were.

Figured they would be long gone before i arrived, but was very careful as i approached. Using my binocular, i searched often as i viewed different horizons. Saw them through the brush, and crept closer. Left the binocular and my cap behind, and crawled on my belly closer. They were bedded down, and the buck was facing me. My shot was clear, and steady on the bipod. They looked so close. Guessed the range at 100 yard, and made a good shot. The bunch all ran off but him. Then he got up and tried to walk away on a broken leg, but then just stood. Shot him again, and he fell down. Gathered my gear, but for kicks i ranged the shot. Oops, it was 155 yard. As i walked toward him, he saw me, and looked to me like he was wanting to get up. Set the bipod up, and from prone, shot him after setting the cds dial for 140 yard. He expired.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice goat, whats the parent case for the 6.5 BRM? 30/30?
RR
Old 09-28-2013, 05:58 PM
car
Typical Buck

Nice goat.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice. Congrats
Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
.............whats the parent case for the 6.5 BRM? 30/30?
RR
Yes, that is the head stamp on the brass. The shoulder is moved forward, and the case is necked down to hold 0.264 bullet.