Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose Die-offs?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Spike

Default Moose Die-offs?

There's an article in the Wash. Post http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...f4d_story.html

They claim moose die offs from warmer winters, which I really don't buy, but just curious on ya'lls perspective, since it seems to have affected hunting in some places, such as Minnesota, which canx the season http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...tion-plummets/
Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

The same thing has been happening in Vermont and New Hampshire,
both states have greatly reduced the number of permits
available to hunters in the last few years. I have heard that
the warmer temps lead to increased populations of ticks which are literally sucking the life out of the Moose. I'm not sure if
it's a similar situation in Washington or not. Global warming
isn't all that great.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've defintiely heard of moose dying from heavy tick infestations, but I don't know where there are any current problems like that.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

There does seem to be a nationwide trend, though reasons vary from area to area. In areas with wolves, that without a doubt is a factor. In parts of Wyoming, there is a brain worm that is killing them. We have harsh enough winters here still that I doubt ticks are the problem here.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What little I know about Moose

Most areas around the great lakes, and adjacent to it. Are considered the southern most region for moose. Generally where the moose stop Whitetailed deer begin. The Whitetail does carry a brain worm which while not affecting the deer. Has a great impact on moose. Couple this with warmer weather which Moose do not tolerate well, and an infestation of ticks. Moose are in trouble.

It's interesting to note, as the deer numbers in most of Michigans Upper Peninsula dropped. Moose sightings however have increased. I often see moose tracks on dirt roads, and find other signs of their presence. Where in years past, sighings like this were very rare. So, maybe despite the increasing temperature moose are expanding here because of a lack of deer, and their parasites. Out on Isle Royale which is known for high Moose numbers. They seen a few historic die-offs. Numbers there are low right now, and seem to show no sign of stabilizing. (this information was gathered on my last trip in 2006.)

ATB
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 PM
Spike

I read that there has been a 35 percent decline in the population in Minnesota over the past year.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Spike

Here's an interesting discussion about NH's moose population decline by some pretty savvy people.

http://www.nhpr.org/post/new-hampshi...se-has-reduced
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hurricane1
Here's an interesting discussion about NH's moose population decline by some pretty savvy people.

http://www.nhpr.org/post/new-hampshi...se-has-reduced
Thanks, I'll get around to listening to that.

BTW, here's an interesting article on the increased number of ticks, at least one possible answer, it's all about having a healthy and diverse population of predators.

I'm more about that than so- called climate change. http://news.ucsc.edu/2012/06/red-fox-lyme-disease.html
Old 08-25-2013, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

When coyotes move into an area they will kill or drive
red fox out of the area. However the tick increase
has nothing to do with the number of predators.

For example the area where I live in Maine ( 23 years )
had very few ticks, 23 years ago. It was rare to get
a tick on you when you went for a walk. These days
in the spring it's almost impossible to go for a walk
in the woods without getting several ticks. No
significant change in predator population in the area
over that time frame---however---we are experiencing
significantly warmer weather year round. More
80 degree days in the summer, almost no below zero days in the winter. There is definitely a direct correlation between
these warmer temps and the increase in tick populations
over the years---which has then resulted in more
people getting ticks on them and then getting lyme
disease.

It's not all bad,I don't have to shovel as much snow.