Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Elk hunt

Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wyoming Elk hunt

A buddy is going elk hunting in Montana (North of Yellowstone National Park - in the Gallatin National Forest & hunting areas 313 & 314) in early Nov. & I'm thinking of joining him. Any idea how the elk hunting is in those areas? I own a .270, 30-06, & .338 Win. Mag. - which is the best caliber for elk? What should I expect on a hunt like this - terrain, weather, quality of bulls, etc?

Last edited by coolbrze0; 06-30-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to get your map out Bro, as anything north of Yellowstone Park where he's going is in Montana!!! Are there even tags available at this late date, as I'm not sure if that is a general tag or LE area? As far as rifles, take the big bopper if you can handle and shoot it well. The 30-06 with 180 grain bonded bullet would be the next best choice of the three as long as the range is kept to a reasonable distance. It's rough territory up there and if you catch some nasty early weather to get the elk moving there are some big bulls that go out of the Park to winter up that way. There are not near the elk up there nowadays due to wolves that literally eliminated the cow hunt where there used to be over a thousand licenses issued. Now that hunt is a thing of the past.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-30-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's funny Topgun! I have killed a number of elk with a 30-06. The 270 has also killed a pile of elk in it's day and the 338 is a fine caliber also. I think it comes down to which gun you are more comfortable with and most accurate with.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what I was thinking, you're right it's Montana. He told me yest. that there are tags available, not sure what general tag vs. LE area is though. I'm a good shot out to 300 yds. w/ all 3 of the rifles but I think he said there's an option to hunt whitetail/mule deer also so was thinking the 30-06? Is there a decent population of 350"+ trophy bull elk in those areas or am I just dreaming?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing funny about taking the .338 over the 30-06 IF he can shoot it well! However, if you're talking keeping your shots to a max of 300 yards, then there is no sense taking the .338 to extend your range further. Go with a good bonded 180 grain bullet in your 30-06 and it will do the job on a bull if you put it in the heart lung area and it will obviously take either of the other deer species as well. I'm partial to the Hornady Interbond myself, but there are a number of good bonded bullets out there. If you haven't killed a bull elk in your life, my advice is to shoot any decent branch antlered bull you get a chance at because bulls like you mentioned are few and far between, especially in most general tag areas. To give you and idea of what you're talking about when you say 350"+, the attached picture is of a 357 3/8" bull my buddy shot in a LE unit in Wyoming in 2010 and they're not behind every tree! If there are tags available in that area, it must be a general tag because the way Montana does their elk tags you first have to draw a general tag before applying to try to make it a LE tag in a particular unit through a second drawing. If you have never been out in the high country of the western states, do yourself a favor and start a good cardivascular workout program ASAP and keep at it because the elevations out there will sap you real quick.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.