Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hoochie Mamma cow call

Old 09-23-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Hoochie Mamma cow call

Does anyone have a favorite cow call? I have tried a few of the mouth diaphram and reed calls and they sound quite good-in practice. When I use them in the field, I guess the excitement gets involved and they end up sounding like a raspberry.

I got one of the Primos Hoochie Mamma cow calls and it seems to be very simple and consistant. Haven' t tried it in the field but wondering if anyone else has tried one successfully.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:25 PM

Default RE: Hoochie Mamma cow call

spd522,
The Hoochie mama call works great on elk.Have called in some nice bulls with mine in conjunction with diaphram calls.Great call,especially the cow estrus.
Good Luck and Good Hunting.
George
Old 09-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Matriarch Doe!

I got a Hoochie Mama last year and called in two bulls with it. It' s easy to use and you can use it with a diaphragm at the same time and sound like more than one cow. I really like it.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Busted up that sweet sweet sound of the Hoochie Mama on this bull!!!!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Hoochie Mamma and use in the lost cow tone mostly. However my favorite and most productive cow call is the Primos Lead cow/calf. I use it in conjunction with a hootchie mamma and my bugle tube. It is very easy to blow, tone vary and intensity is among the best I have tried(seeming to carry well in valleys and timber areas) The lead cow has worked great for bulls and cows a like for myself. I sucked a single cow from the opposite river bank to within 20 yards last week and it helped to draw out and harvest 2 nice sized bulls (who were in post rut phase at the time). I think these 2 or a hoochie mamma and a diaphram are a great combo. Like mentioned it is my experience too the sound of more than one cow works better than just one call all the time in luring elk to your location, especially when the preesure has been on them for a few days.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 AM

Isn' t the Hootchie Mama the one you squeez with your hands? I was with a guy that used one last year and it didn' t seem to be versitile or sound too good - more like a calf - probably was operator error though.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Sigma, when I first got mine, I thought the same thing. I didn' t think it sounded right, but I decided to give it a shot. Well, apparently it doesn' t matter what I think! The bulls seemed to love it, so what do I know? LOL! I' ll tell you though, you use it long enough and you do get a sore thumb!
Old 09-25-2003, 03:38 PM

hntngirl:

If the bulls come to it thats all that matters - they are a better judge than I. do the cows seem to respond as well? I use a primo cow call - I don' t have a bugle - but i am debating getting one for this year since we will be in CO closer to the rut (besides according to the posts here the rut is late). Even in WY last year I was hearing a bull bugle down a ridge from me in the evening well after the rut seemed to be over. My buddy saw him once just at dusk but did not get a clear shot and once at about 40 yds in black timber - almost ran into each other at midday - couldn' t get the rifle off his shoulder fast enough I guess. good luck to you and don' t work the thumbs too hard with the hootchie mama - you may need that thumb to grasp a knife and skin one.

sigma
Old 09-25-2003, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sigma, I like the hoochie mamma better than the carlton squezze call in sound. The ability to produce two different cow sounds like a herd moving rather than blow one and another. As stated I believe cow calling in tandem either by myself or with another hunter gives you the best advantage and a more authentic sound, the HM & a blow call can be used at the same time with minimal effort when by yourself (thus I think it is a great call). I also carry a fighting cow call and several diaphrams to reproduce cow and bull calls.

If your looking for a bugle I would suggest you look into the Primos Terminator Reed Bugle, it is very easy to learn and allows you to make all neccesary calls a bull makes. If you do use a diaphram for lip bawling, chucking, bugling or cow calling- the reed portion comes apart to allow you to use the same tube to aid in tone and intensity. Personally I think it is one of the easiest to learn and sounds very good. I know I wouldn' t elk hunt without a bugle around my neck, you should give a bugle a try.

Good luck and have a great hunt.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM

skeeter:

Thanks for the info - I have a trip to Cabela' s scheduled this weekend - I will pick up a bugle while I am there. I have avoided one in the past just due to the lateness of most rifle seasons. Then I need one more trip to the range with the 7mm to calm my nerves before the long drive to CO.

Quick Reply: Hoochie Mamma cow call

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.