Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Scent free hunting??????????

Old 09-20-2003, 08:03 PM

Default Scent free hunting??????????

Howdy Folks,
I read and hear a lot of talk about hunting " scent free" . There are scent free/scent absorbing clothes, oderless deoderant, scent elimination sprays and on and on. Now with all these oder killin/maskin thingies on the market the hunter may very well be able to go out there and be relatively scent free or oderless. But what about his gun/bow and other equipment. I have not seen any scent free or oderless oils, they may be there but if so I have missed them. I try to stay as clean and oderless as I can but I do not know of a way to do this to my equipment that needs to be oiled or lubercated. Help me out and let me know how you keep yourself and your equipment scent free.
Take care, good hunting and may God bless you and yours.
DD
Old 09-20-2003, 09:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent free hunting??????????

One will never be scent free...the key is to eliminate your scent as much as possible. All but your remote whitetails deal with human scent every day. They know what is an acceptable level and what is not. Eliminating your scent to an acceptable level making the whitetail think you are farther away than you are allowing him to still feel secure....

For equipment, that' s a tough one..sure gun oils, bow oils etc may or may not alarm a whitetail. You can spray down your equipment with a scent eliminating spray but it might be hard on equipment....the best advice is to hunt the wind, even with all the scent absorbing/eliminating products/gimicks on the market, if you don' t have the wind, your not going to be very successful.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Actually I think you' re exactly right. Ever hear someone say that they see lots of deer when they are in the woods not hunting, but when they have their gun they don' t? I believe a large part of this is because their rifle smells like the floor of a Jiffy Lube.

If you try your best to be totally scent free and then carry in a reeking piece of equipment, you are giving the deer the advantage that you were trying to take away from them.

There is a scent free equipment oil out their which I use, check it out at:
http://www.no-scent.com

Good Luck this season,
Mark
http://www.buckhuntersecrets.com
Old 09-21-2003, 06:56 PM

Thanks Rob and Mark,
What both of you say makes good sense.
I' m always aware of the wind direction and pay a lot of attention to it though I had not really thought of the fact that most of our deer deal with human scent daily and have a certian tolerance to it.
I' ll give the scent free oil a try, any help (that is ethical and fair) to offset that incredible nose is worth a try.
Take care, good hunting and may God bless you and yours.
DD