Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I also conisider places like Quest haven lodge in the same category."

I just googled that place and it's just a step above a canned hunt because of the increased acreage (1000). From the looks of the racks they are taking, their "preserve", as they call it, looks very much like the smaller game farms with a lot of genetic engineering going on and I agree with your assessment of it. They might as well have a 100% guaranteed policy because they charge $1000 bucks deposit, but have no prices or say how they determine what you pay for the animal. Therefore, I presume it's based on inches of antler just like a smaller canned hunt and you can bet your bippy they aren't running it to shoot 130" bucks!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-02-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
All three answers directly circumvented the question. You have to choose one or the other...sportmanship, or a wise use of a natural resource. It is a bottomline question.
It's not a bottomline question, it's a silly question with no real meaning at all. Did you really think a story about you paying 3800 bucks for a set of horns would change that? Or did you think the part of some indians wasting the meat would give your silly question some sort of life altering application?

No, it doesn't. All I got out of any of it was, people with money can buy their trophies from people that don't give a crap about sportsmanship, the animals or their natural resources.

What a bunch of nonsense. Only a buffoon would fall for any of it.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell us how you really feel Luckydog!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
It's not a bottomline question, it's a silly question with no real meaning at all. Did you really think a story about you paying 3800 bucks for a set of horns would change that? Or did you think the part of some indians wasting the meat would give your silly question some sort of life altering application?

No, it doesn't. All I got out of any of it was, people with money can buy their trophies from people that don't give a crap about sportsmanship, the animals or their natural resources.

What a bunch of nonsense. Only a buffoon would fall for any of it.
I totaly agree.its a question ment to put yourself in an incriminating position when infact its just a silly question.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Huck your story was rather disconcerning it make me think of the buffalo slaughter in the 1800s and illiegal poaching for ivory in kenya
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

Tradition is a big reason hunting is accepted by many people.my grandfather didnt hunt in a fence either did my father.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Topgun, they were featured on the outdoorchannel on the SCI show claimed it ss Fair Chase,
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

SCI, as far as I'm concerned, and their fair chase policy sucks hind teat!!! I have said more than a few times that all these organizations and their "Book" that you can get your name in also fall into that category! It has not helped the sport of hunting one bit IMHO, but rather been a big detriment. Here's a quick story on a similar place up here in central Michigan. I was with a buddy and we were mentoring women attendees at a WITO (Women In The Outdoors) event the NWTF Chapter we belong to has every year. One of the ladies recognized Tom as her Guidance Counselor from a number of years ago and said she wanted to show him a picture of a big whitetail buck she shot. It was a gorgeous beast with 10 points and a score probably in the 160s. We told her that was quite a buck, especially for a new hunter, and she said she almost didn't get him. We asked what she meant and she said as she was moving her rifle out through the blind window when her guide told her to shoot the deer that she hit it on the side of the blind and the buck ran off. The guide told her not to worry and that the buck would come back to the feed trough, which it did in a few minutes, and she shot him on the second goaround! Tom and I just gave each other a little wink as she was telling us that it was taken up at "The Sanctuary", a place very similar to that Lodge you mentioned that is high fenced and of not that much acreage.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-03-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

As soon as I read central Michigan I knew where you were talking about.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
SCI, as far as I'm concerned, and their fair chase policy sucks hind teat!!! I have said more than a few times that all these organizations and their "Book" that you can get your name in also fall into that category! It has not helped the sport of hunting one bit IMHO, but rather been a big detriment. Here's a quick story on a similar place up here in central Michigan. I was with a buddy and we were mentoring women attendees at a WITO (Women In The Outdoors) event the NWTF Chapter we belong to has every year. One of the ladies recognized Tom as her Guidance Counselor from a number of years ago and said she wanted to show him a picture of a big whitetail buck she shot. It was a gorgeous beast with 10 points and a score probably in the 160s. We told her that was quite a buck, especially for a new hunter, and she said she almost didn't get him. We asked what she meant and she said as she was moving her rifle out through the blind window when her guide told her to shoot the deer that she hit it on the side of the blind and the buck ran off. The guide told her not to worry and that the buck would come back to the feed trough, which it did in a few minutes, and she shot him on the second goaround! Tom and I just gave each other a little wink as she was telling us that it was taken up at "The Sanctuary", a place very similar to that Lodge you mentioned that is high fenced and of not that much acreage.
It strikes me as strange about my feelings of the woman and her deer. When I started to read the account I said wow what a deer and she must be proud...I am so envious. Then the rest of the story comes out. The deer is the same but my impression of it has changed. It is still a nice deer but I am no longer in awe of it. Just my feelings because I wouldn't hunt like that but it doesn't change the way the woman is proud of her accomplishment. Same deer but 2 different feelings and neither one is wrong. Different people have varied opinions and expectations about everything including hunting deer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.