Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie,

Your comment has as much merit as, "gun hunters are only capable of marrying their sister. Your bullet is just as unfair to some as the fence is to you.

Muley,

I wouldn't do a late season hunt either. But holy cow, how many people do? And of those, how many do you think decry high fence? There's a huge streak of hyprocrisy run through so many. Any way you slice it, bullets will whip horns. When time is not a factor, what animal has a chance? How is that fair?

gotta get back to work....
Old 12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good one Charlie right on!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Huckleberry, this thread is about fair chase vs high fence, i'd love to read about your future Newfoundland or other hunts on its own thread though for sure! Thanx.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
Thanks for the information CI. The ferry crossing was a bit of a black spot for me. Renting a cabin with a shower sounds like the way to go, God knows we'll need one by then. My focus will be more on the caribou than the moose. I've been told they can range in the same area. is this correct? I told myself I would begin doing all the research after the first of the year. I guess early is better than never, eh? Do the newfoundlanders say "eh" a lot?

They do say Eh but figuring out the rest is something else. It always took me about 3 days to understand them. They talk very fast and skip words. The husband and wife who ran my lodge would talk and she would rattle out a bunch of gibberish and he would say huh??? She would repeat and then he would answer with a bunch of gibberish and she would say huh?? It went like that until I got to the point where I would say huh?? Then they would answer and I would say huh?// lots of fun. Most of the bou we saw were out on the open tundra or in the draws between the tundra plateaus. Lots of those and when you are a mile away and spotting them and then by the time you get there they are often gone. They are always moving and if you try to keep up you usually miss out. The best way is to figure out where they are heading and try to ambush them which is something that works well with a bow or ML. we did see some moose while scouting for bous but most of the good moose areas are in the bogs and dark type timber which is black spruce. Lots of wild cranberries and blueberries out on the tundra and the bears are often seen out there eating. I just never saw any but others did when I was there. Lots of eagles too which is pretty neat to see.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

So lets go over this a little bit. 1200 acres with a bow spot and stalk isn't fair chase? right?

But paying an outfitter/guide 1000's to have him hold your hand to a trophy is ok. Deer drives are ok. hunting over bait is ok. hunting with dogs are ok. hunting in a heated shooting house is ok. hunting late season elk is ok.

To me, those are the easy hunts that dont require any fair chase on the hunters part. Other than shooting your gun there isnt any skill you need to kill a record book animal in those cases.

Should an animal that has been born and raised inside a fence go into the the bc book, nope.

Mabey the title thread should have been "free range vs high fence" cause fair chase works both ways here.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many elk would be in that small 1200 acres?

I'd like to know every 1200 acres had multiple elk in it that can't get away. Colorado has 23 million acres of public land.

Actually, I wouldn't like that. Too easy.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

I was going to say 5. but in order to make it fair there has to be 15 to be equal to the colorado elk vs public land, that would be .0125 elk per acre in a fence vs .0130 elk in the wild.

Look nobody is trying to tell you guys you have to do it, but why be so against it. I bet if you talk to guys that do it you would have more in common than you think.

Have a Happy New Year All.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless it was thousands of acres for elk, a high fence would not be close to a fair chase. I've watched elk out in Wyoming go a couple miles before slowing down after a gunshot or even when jumped from upwind by guys. In fact, I was up high glassing one day and heard a rifle shot up on a ranch a mile or two to the ne. In about a minute a big herd with close to 100 animals came over the far ridge and I watched them continue on a trot up and down over 4 or 5 finger ridges that went down into a big canyon. They were still going several minutes later and went at least 4 miles in that time period before they went out of sight. That's why I've said that it depends on what animal it is and what cover is involved to hunt a high fence place.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

I know what you guys are saying, I do. I cant see myself ever hunting deer or elk inside a fence. I raise them because here in new york I would never be able to watch them. I have been hooked on elk ever sense my first trip to colorado hunting them.

But you know, for an axis deer or a russian boar, I would have no problem going into a high fence.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd have no problem with you doing it either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.