Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I think he was just trying to explain that all fenced hunts aren't the same. he thinks those with lots of land are just like public land hunts. I don't agree, but it's not a big deal enough to ignore him.

I've been going at it with ridge runner, but it's what forums are all about. We don't have to always agree. I don't in real life, and I don't expect to on forums either.
What he was doing wasnt just giveing his opinion anymore,he was badgering.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

You have some nice hunting where you are.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You have some nice hunting where you are.
Yes indeed we do.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
Champlain,

May I pick your brain on Newfoundland? I am going there with my bow for Caribou, moose, and bear. I would appreciate any information. I hope I'm not hamstrung by the guide I must legally have to comply with Canadian law.
Sure no problem. I hunted from 2003 to 2005 all with the same outfitter in the center of the island I think it was in 063 for caribou. Lots of fun and the outfit and guides were great. They have good results with both bow and rifle for moose and bou. All our hunts were spot and stalk which was the same for the guys doing it with a bow. The woodland caribou they have there are more like elk and don't travel in huge herds and aren't as easily ambushed as baron ground bou in Quebec or Labrador. If you have specific questions about the outfitter or anything else Pm me. My time up there was some of the best times I ever had in some really beautiful country. Huge bears too but I never saw any in the 3 years I went. Filling a tag at that time with a quality stag caribou was not all that difficult. I understand the herds have been severely diminished since then due to predation. Good luck understanding the native newfies. They have a very strange and hard to understand dialect. They skip about every 3rd word. The only reason why I stopped going there was I got hooked on elk hunting in Colorado. Been there every year since 2005.

I have hunted Hornel NY on opening day of gun season. It was on private land and was OK. Lots of deer and was fun to hunt until the owner added another cabin and had too many hunters on his 2000 acres. With so much pressure the amount of mature deer dropped. Too many 2 1/2 yr old deer taken.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 12-30-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muley Hunter---I just got back from running my pointer like I do every evening and I see a couple pages have been added to this thread. I really don't see how skinnnner feels I was badgering him by asking legitimate questions like I did when I asked if he would hunt a 30,000 acre island, but says he would not hunt any acreage with a high fence around it. They are the exact same thing in that the animal can't get away, aren't they? Rather than answer a question or two of mine like I've been trying to answer his, all I got was a bunch of sarcastic posts and then told that I was on his ignore list for badgering him, LOL! Now I see he is making more statements about my sending him stuff when it was nothing more than a nice, very short PM and another where I hit a button asking that he be my friend. In other words, all I was trying to do is say let's act like adults and get along on here even with our differences.
The one thing you stated to him that I'd like to clear up is that I don't consider ANY high fence operation like hunting public land because it isn't. One simple reason is that hunter numbers are limited in high fence operations and other than some LQ areas that states have set up for quality hunts the hunter numbers are unlimited in general public hunting areas. That obviously is going to normally mean better animals and a better success rate because of the lower pressure level on them compared to public land. The thing it appears that skinnnner can't separate is "canned hunts" on preserves that have very limited acreage and offer basically 100% kills with no license required because they are farmed animals that the state does not own compared to big high fence places like Texas has where you need a state hunting license and the season is exactly what the state has in its rules and regulations for public land. Since you live in Colorado I'm sure you're aware of their Ranching for Wildlife program where you still need a state hunting license, but the state allocates the ranches a certain number of llicenses and they can charge the public whatever they can get for the right to use that license on their property and they set their own hunting dates, many of which are in the rut when it's easier to take a trophy animal. The one stipulation is that the ranch has to also allot 10% of its licenses to the public in a lottery and allow them on the ranch for just the price of the license. Utah has its CWMU program where the landowner gets licenses in a somewhat similar program. These are all low fenced ranches to the best of my knowledge and the harvest success is much better than on public property because they are controlling hunter numbers. The programs are pretty popular, but they cater for the most part to people that don't have to worry about where they spend their money. I wonder if skinnnner would hunt one of those places with those types of restrictions that make the hunting better even though they are low fenced.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Champlain. I will indeed contact you with questions as my Newfie hunt draws near. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to being there! Four of us are driving from Denver (Mapquest says it's 56 hours), taking the ferry across from Sydney, and beginning our hunt on the 22nd of September (right after Colorado's archery elk season). This will be my third attempt at bow hunting a different caribou species. The previous two yeilded two Q-L (DYI on the Cree Nation)and an Alaskan B-G (DYI on the Haul Road) caribou. I fully inderstand the woodland bou will present new challenges...I can't wait! If I am successful, this will also be my third moose species. I've shot an Alaska moose (DIY) and two western Canada moose (Alberta, where I was required to have a guide) awhile back. I am not so worried about the bear, I've successfully spot and stalked plenty. But if a good one exposes himself, I'll give him a good chase. I absolutely love diving into the unknown and finding those places where adventure meets discovery.

Where in Colorado do you hunt elk? Maybe you and I can get together prior to my departure... or thereafter. I love assisting hunters with these magical beasts. They are part of the reason I hunt with a bow. I found killing them and mulies with a rifle was too easy. If I can help you, at all, I will. Elk are truly near and dear to me.

RR,

Thanks for your support...the same applies to you. feel free to use me for your Colorado hunts at any time! On my public land hunts, I generally have a 90% success rate on cows and a 65% rate on bulls...either bow and rifle.

Muley,

Please, give me more detail on your wager. This is starting to sound like the Tar-baby being flung into the brier patch, if you know what I mean. I didn't take the name " Iamyourhuckleberry" because I back away from challenge. State the terms of your bet...
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

That hunt for Bou up there sounds exciting and I hope you and your buddies have a good trip with plenty of pictures to post when you get back! Good luck!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Top, I will do my best to take plenty of photos, and I usaully try to make a written account of every hunt I have been on. I believe sharing is an important part of hunting-at least for me.

Did you catch this story?

http://www.gohuntingandfishing.com/b...kan-haul-road/

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 12-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that was quite a trip with an absolutely fabulous writeup and photos that no professional could better. You don't hunt and write for a living do you? If you don't, you should after reading that account and seeing those photos. WOW!!!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is no bet huckle. I was just trying to make a point. I don't make bets, or take them.

You might tell me why your terms had to be with a bow though. It would only make sense to a bow hunter. I'm not sure there are any in this thread that's interested in your bet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.