Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Is the sucsess rate on most high fenced hunts greater or equil to hunting public land?anyone care to answer?"

I expect you want somebody to say that the rates are higher, so that's what I'll say. It would vary on the size of the place from very low to almost 100% in a "canned" situation and some of the latter are even guaranteed! The success rate will normally be higher with a centerfire rifle compared to bow hunting too, as would with a ML! I do about 90% public land hunting because I don't care to spend money to go on private property, except for one small ranch I hunt for free. My success rate is very high because I go way back in off the roads, whereas guys that don't get anything and are complaining don't go out of sight of their vehicle a lot of the time. I guess what I'm saying is that numbers can be whatever you want to make out of them.
EDIT: Again, I think after reading your comments while I was making this post, you are talking about pretty small places that are charging big dollars for people who want something where they don't have to do much work. Those places suck as far as I'm concerned. I would put this out that just maybe your opinion may a little bit biased based on that big elk that let you walk up to him on that $10,000 per animal place. That is a "canned" operation and other big places you lump in with them are nothing like that. Please remember I'm not speaking for them because I don't hunt them, but if I had tons of money to blow on a hunt it would be for sheep up in the mountains somewhere and not on a game farm for some "gimme" animal that's huge.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 12-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
never done it but if I understand correctly you may never know cause its a no pay unless ya kill deal, so the places only hafta count the successful hunters, the rest are motel guests.
RR
Oh ok thanx rr,im not trying to take a stab at anyone im just trying to understand it more,like i said previously iv only seen ones with very high rates of sucsess advertised
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everything you need to know is in the title of your thread !
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sheridan
LOL..that's true. I never heard of fair chase fenced hunting.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Im just questioning other ppls way of justifying it.Sorry your affended haha.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by skinnnner
Im just questioning other ppls way of justifying it.Sorry your affended haha.
I don't think he's offended. He just made a good point that I picked up on.

I'm not sure he was talking to you as much as to the thread.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I don't think he's offended. He just made a good point that I picked up on.

I'm not sure he was talking to you as much as to the thread.
Oh ok thanx muley,personaly i just dont get the whole fenced hunt thing.if it floats your boat go hard i wont complain but to put it in the same catagory as legit hunting just isnt right.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I knew when I read the title of the thread the first time that it would be a long drawn out thread. Nothing was accomplished, but it's winter, and we're bored.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah i know what you mean,this thread appears every year.i still havent not read a good reason it should be considered real hunting.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know skinnnner, for someone who has chasttized me more than a couple times on this thread for being so opinionated on something, you sure have put up more posts than anyone on this thread regarding your opinion on fences, LOL!!! Just sayin man!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.