Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Old 10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wyoming Antelope Hunt

Drove up to Saratoga Wyoming last Weds for the family antelope hunt. Camped at Lake Saratoga right outside of town. Neither one of my boys were interested in holding out for a big buck, they just wanted to get their first antelope buck on the ground and get some fishing in. First up was Ethan (14 y/o). He had a nice 200 yard quartering away shot on a small buck. He was dropped in his tracks with his 7mm-08. Bullet hit just behind the shoulder and existed the base of the neck. He is 9.5" long

The next day Josh (17 y/o) was up. We found a nice herd that was working its way out of private land (alfalfa field). We had to wait about a half hour for the bucks that were at the back of the group to leave the field. We stalked to about a 100 yards of them. The nicest looking buck was nice and wide, but only about 11". Good enough for Josh. He shot his in the neck (lucky shot, he wasn't trying to do that) He also dropped in his tracks.

This was our first hunting trip that I had both boys completely take care of there own kill. They both gutted, skinned and deboned their antelope. At times it was painful to watch. But they did an excellent job. Ver proud of both of them.

I also filled my 2 doe tags after I had my boys taken care of. We also got some fishing in, and soaked at the Hobo Hot Springs. Great trip with my boys, I hope we have many more years of antelope hunting together.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt! I have to laugh at, "At times it was painful to watch." My kids did a great job on field dressing, skinning and boning, but it definitely was a case of a 10 min chore becoming a 40 minute one... Glad the young men were good with what they got. I think we've gotten a bit obsessive about size of animals these days.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Spike

Congrats! Sounds like a great trip!
Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you and the boys. Like the painful to watch comment. lol
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:
"Take your kids hunting . . . and you won't be hunting for your kids"
Precious moments!

Last edited by dig4gold; 10-26-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: more thought