Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black panther in North America

Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Spike

Default Black panther in North America

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago on a cold December morning my family hovered around the upstairs window at the crack of dawn staring at what looked to be a large black dog sitting on the edge of the woodsline next to a small traffic cone my mother and sister use as riding obsticles for there horses, I have full grown dobermans and this thing was larger than them. After a minute or two i grab my 7mm mag with a 4-12x nichols scope to take a closer look it wasnt untill it stood up that i realized that this was a cat and not a dog, the reason i could tell is because of the long tail dropping and swooping towards the ground and also the short blunt nose. the animal was long sleak and black. Ive been within feet of cougars on many occasions and this animal resembled the cougers I have seen perfectly. It started walking our fence line and turned a corner slowly walking in between me and my neighbor's property walking towards the road. At this point my father had already notified the police department and i had headed out to get a closer look i got within 50 yards of the animal and looked through the scope i could destinctly see the black jaguar style camo pattern of the animal. after observing the creature for a minute or so the police cruiser pulls up and the animal darts off. We talk to the officer and he is convinced we saw a coyote but im not stupid i Know what i saw and it wasnt a coyote. he grabs his M4 service rifle from his trunk and we head back into the woods. we find a set of tracks leading through my neihbors back yard but the seemed to be very light but they were definatly large tracks but i still dont know exactly what tracks they were. after 30 minutes we had back in and the officer leaves. I still wish i could have taken a shot at him he would have looked great as a carpet.

The point of this post was not to brag i simply want to share my experence, I want to know if anyone else has a similar experence please share and please be honest.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn near anything's possible. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Typical Buck

I've researched and can't find any evidence of documentation of a black mountain lion or cougar, but as you stated other big cats--leopards and jaguars--can have a black phase and if close enough, one would see the pattern of the spots. There have been pets escaped and released over time.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default With forums. . .

pretty soon only the brave will be wandering in the woods alone.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wyomingtrapper
I've researched and can't find any evidence of documentation of a black mountain lion or cougar, but as you stated other big cats--leopards and jaguars--can have a black phase and if close enough, one would see the pattern of the spots. There have been pets escaped and released over time.
That was my guess was an escaped pet, but the other thing people dont realize is that jaguars are native to North America but they were hunting almost to extinction in the early 1900's, but recently they have been seen on trail cameras and what not. But a black one would be very rare.