Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How long should you let an elk hunting spot rest after a kill?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Spike

Default How long should you let an elk hunting spot rest after a kill?

Went out with a friends about 2 weeks ago now and was able to bring down a bull with my bow. We heard other bulls bugling in the area before and after the shot, and saw a ton of sign in the area. I plan to go out with this buddy of mine again to try and help him get a bull too, and am wondering if this spot would be worth going back to this year, or if it would be best to give it a year before coming back. If it matters, this spot was fairly close to the city I live at in Montana, and was about 2.5 miles from the road.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't have had a problem hunting it after the last quarter was packed out that day. Oh, who am I kidding. I would have been hunting it with the quarter on my back.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you see elk. It's ready to hunt.

I like to keep things simple.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
If you see elk. It's ready to hunt.

I like to keep things simple.
x2!

Plus we're talking about migratory animals, "overhunting" an area is possible in eastern deer woods where the animals see the same thing everyday and live within 1-2 sq miles most of their lives but elk are some travelin dudes and 48 hours in their world can have them MILES from their last encounter.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

What jorgy and muley said......................the elk around here that are low tend to stay put most of the year, the ones that are up high do tend to move around a bit , but normally don't go very far unless they have heavy pressure on them..........a couple of years ago we walked past a small herd in a gully next to a wheat field every day of deer season........................elk do NOT act the same way everywhere they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 weeks is more than enough time for whatever happened. As stated, doesn't take long to settle down if you don't spook them totally out of the area.

I shot a bull one time and at that time gutted it and left that laying. Had a deer tag and hunted the same spot the next morning and had 3 deer walked within 10 ft of the gutpile. One even actually went up and sniffed the gutpile, then moved on unconcerned