Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Thoughts on outfitters

Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Outfitter is labor overhead

It costs because it takes a lot of personnel time to do it right.
If it's more than a mile of hiking off road, it means outfitter for most. Hunt in a new place, more than two, three, four miles, from a trail or road, it means ways to transport the hunter, and transport to get the harvest, back to where the hunter can get home.

With the internet, the cost could be too expensive for many outfitters. It might be so expensive, that fewer and fewer hunters can afford it. Thus even more complaints for even a pretty good job.

But what is a hunter to do, the road two miles from its harvest, and wolves or coyotes ready to lunch on a lone hunters harvest. While three days away from a cooked meal. What's a modern hunter to do.

I don't use outfitters, but I can sure know many are essential for many a hunter.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those problems are the same for local hunters.

Hang up the meat, and make as many trips as it takes to get it out.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me outfitters, are worth it. They do alot of the "learning curve" for you. In my situation on the east coast, if I want a DIY elk hunt, I have to pour significant money into equipment, travel and time/vacation to scout. All to hunt an animal that I don't know how to hunt for 5-7 days a year. I can't afford it every year (afford means time, family and money).

for me the outfitter is worth it. He has the equipment I don't have. He has the knowledge of the land that I don't have, he has the animal knowledge that I don't have, he has the "what to do after its down" that I don't have.

I have longer term plans to move west and once I do I will not use outfitters because I will have the time to grow those skills.

If you think the outfitter "does it all for you", then you are using the wrong outfitter, or you want him to. they will everything except shoot, if you want. I don't want. I explain to the outfitter that I wanted to learn to call elk, I wanted to learn about elk and that I would ask a million questions of my guide, not to doubt him, but to learn, as that is important to me. I've been 3 times across 10 years and in that area I'd actually be ok hunting. I have called in bulls and cows, he's taught me the basics of calling (I helped him call a bull into range for my wife).

Outfitters are a short cut to more likely success. After that they are what you make them.