Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunt alone for first time elk hunt

Old 09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
Spike

Default Hunt alone for first time elk hunt

I'm wondering if I should participate in a controlled Elk Unit in the Ukiah Unit in Oregon. My young son and myself are new hunters. I was drawn in a controlled hunt. Another experienced hunter can't accompany me during these October hunt dates. I'm Wondering if it's a good idea to go alone ?? It seems like i should observe one Elk hunt to understand basic tracking principles. i have talked to a hunter who gsve me Location tips. Also, I will scout the area with another hunter prior to the controlled hunt dates. Wondering about my options ??
Old 09-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I would say it all depends on your experience level. If you are a new hunter I would say no don't go it alone. If you have hunted deer or other big game then you might have some of the tools to pull it off. Elk are huge and after one is down getting it from the back country to your freezer is no small task. As an experienced deer hunter I didn't have a problem hunting and killing an elk on my first trip to the west. I did have 2 other deer hunters with me with similar hunting experience but not in the west. We all learned as a team and all scored our first trip. I was used to hunting wilderness type country so I had all the safety and survival skills down pat. Hunting elk is much the same as deer only they are bigger, probably more wary and they will go for miles if you make a mistake. Get into good condition and get a pack frame. If hunting is new to you I would look around for someone with a lot of experience to go with you. A new hunter taking a young hunter isn't probably what I would say is smart especially in the type of areas where elk live. Too much can go wrong and too easy to get hurt. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Spike

I would mirror BAShunter109's thoughts but would add that experience in the high country (doing whatever, just familiarity with the terrain, weather, etc) good go a long way to making your hunt safer and more enjoyable. You can always learn about hunting elk, but one good bout of hypothermia...

I am on my second hunting year myself BUT I have spent a LARGE portion of my life in the CO mountains camping, fishing and hiking and am very familiar with what to expect in the mountains (pretty much anything is what to expect). I have encountered winter weather, bears, mountain lions, have fallen into the river (in July and had to cut my fishing trip short b/c I got seriously cold, yes in July) and I could go on. My point being that elk territory is rough (especially during hunting season) and be sure to be prepared.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go for it!!
Old 09-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lets say you go and you get one down: then what! You need to do a search for quartering an elk without gutting it. Only way to go
Old 09-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default here we go

Here again folks need to check on things, Ukiah is not in the "HIGH" country but it is in the middle with things under 6,000ft for the most part, high desert with a lot of relatively flat ground or rolling hills, buy a map or just flat drive over there only a hour or two to get there....when ya get there call a local game warden, pick their brains!!!!!

Last edited by finnbear; 09-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Typical Buck

Go for it cowboy up. Let someone know where your going when you plan to be back. Take all the essentials to get you warm, dry and first aid including fire building materials. Go get an elk. I prefer to hunt alone and say I don't come back well I went the way I would have chosen to go in the first place.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

My inclination is to urge you to go do it. The one thing I would be concerned about is your ability to handle the dead elk. Some people cut the elk meat off the elk without field dressing the elk. Other people field dress the elk first. Either of these processes involve a fair amount of knife work, cutting on an elk. If you are totally unfamiliar with this process -- no similar experience cutting up a deer, no similar process cutting up a pig -- then I think that could be a problem. Actually, it isn't so complicated particularly, but I think it helps to have confidence in what you are doing so you don't end up being too anxious about that activity and then accidently cutting yourself badly with your knife. If you can field dress the elk and cut it into pieces, you could let the elk meat cool while you go get a packer to help get the elk out, that is if you can't just drive your truck up to the dead elk. I have no idea what your area is like.

I think other parts of the hunt you can readily prepare yourself for. Know how to get back to where you started -- basic orienteering skills. If you are going up hill, then the truck will be down hill. A map and compass and a GPS might help. Be prepared for what the weather may through your way. Carry enough water. Let people know where you are going. If you go with your child, stay together and don't separate. Know how to shoot your rifles well (I assume this is rifle hunting). Be safe.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can do it. You just need to research the area maybe do a recon drive out there to get your eyes on the terrain. Then look up the area on bing and really have a clearer picture of the area. You have to plan for the what if's. If you don't you may find yourself lost in the mnts overnight with the temp dropping into low 40's or lower with no way to start a fire and no water. There are several websites you can go on that will give you simple packing lists for elk hunting trips. Also use todays technology. GPS with the areas maps downloaded on it. They also make a device for back tracking to camp or your truck. Hit when you start and the arrow will always point back to that waypoint. You can do it. I do it all the time. Just be smart about it. And always let someone back home know where you are gonna be and a drop dead time to call police if you don't return. Good Luck and aim straight. Deernutz
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know what Nike says..........Just do it!