Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

need help with rifles

Old 07-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

If you believe that having a Magnum makes you a better shot, more ethical hunter and your killing game faster then you have a long ways to go down the marksmanship road. Caliber doesn't help you make good clean ethical kills marksmanship and accuracy does. I cringe every time a new client brings a new super magnum rifle that you know after watching him zero it in hasn't owned it any longer than the pair of socks on his feet. It has became a sad reality. New rifle owners shouldn't start out with something that has 30lbs plus of free recoil. I love watching men close their eyes before the sear releases the hammer. If you can't shoot a magnum as well as you shoot your varmint rifle you have no business hunting with it until you can. Magnums are for two types of people those that can handle them and those that can't. I've seen both sides of the fence I would never ever no way recommend a magnum to a novice hunter. NO. NOPE not logical. It doesn't compute captain.

I own and shoot several magnums and yes I hunt with them too. They all shoot and I can shoot them all very well. As with my standard calibers I shoot them all very well. I'm a hunter, a marksman and I take my accuracy very seriously. Jack O Connor could shoot Elmer Keith was a man that shot guns. So that raking shot mentality don't fly with me.