Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Fires

Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Spike

Default Colorado Fires

me and my dad where planning an archery elk hunt, strongly considering unit 77, and the fire out there seems to be growing.

My question is what effects will this have on the elk there? and are the elk( during September) going to be at higher elevations then the fire is currently burning at?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

The fire I have been hearing them talking about is up around Estes Park which is in the northern part of the state. Unit 77 is in the southern part of the state. So unless there is another fire in southern Colorado that I have not heard about you should be fine.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I think you should be ok there. I havent seen any reports of major fires there.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's early. I'm sure we'll have many more fires to deal with on such a dry hot year.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 06-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fire (High Park) is generally west of Ft. Collins, and northeast of Estes Park by a fairly significant distance. Over 90 square miles affected as of yesterday evening, 189 homes destroyed. I haven't checked NIFC tonight to see what today brought. NOT a small fire.

<edit> NIFC's showing 58,770 acres burned (about 51 square miles), 50% contained. We're not doing well in this part of the country with low humidity and wind lately, that'll surely play into whether or not this one can be beaten back. Looks like some hotshot teams are being released from the fire though - probably to refit and get ready for the next attack.

Also looking like one of the more popular elk areas in Wyoming (area 7) is now burning AGAIN as well, 2000 acres and 0% contained. I sure hope folks from BioDiversity Conservation Alliance have some trees to hug in their backyards, there sure may not be many left in the National Forests if this keeps up.

Last edited by homers brother; 06-19-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

here's alink to the fire that is effecting unti 77, so far 13,000+ acres. http://www.pagosadailypost.com/news/...Fire,_Engaged/

how the elk react to the burn area will probably depend on how soon the fire is out completely. It's a pretty safe bet that the elk will mostly avoid the burn area because there won't be food and cover by this coming hunting season. Will the elk be higher, maybe, maybe not. Just like always, they will be where you find them.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Obviously no one here saw the stories and the pictures of the elk moving right back into the areas of total devistation from Mt. St, Helens, they moved in and was eatin that nice young tender new growth, like there was nothin better!!!!!!! Elk will general move back into a burn area fairly quickliy to get the new grasses coming in!!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Colorado is in a severe drought, probably not going to be much new growth too quickly after these fires, just no moisture. Between the lack of snow last winter and hardly any rain this spring, it's no wonder the state is burning up. It's bad...State wide fire ban in place right now. Lots of places banning the sell and or use of fireworks. We need rain, in a bad way..
Old 06-21-2012, 02:58 AM
Typical Buck

hunt new mexico lol