Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk hunt

Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

Like most said, use the gun you are comfortable with. It should work just fine.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

I am so confused .....I think this is a first....a hunter is actually asking if he should use a smaller gun that what he is used to!!!!!!what's up with that???????
Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by finnbear
I am so confused .....I think this is a first....a hunter is actually asking if he should use a smaller gun that what he is used to!!!!!!what's up with that???????
What the hell? That's funny right there!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Although far shots are always possible, you should be able to get into a reasonable range if the wind is in your favor.
Bingo!! We have a winner!! Best advice in the world for elk hunting. Keep the wind in your face as much as possible. A cross wiind is better than nothing. If you feel the wind on the back of your neck, it's time to start over because that elk is long gone.

Good post Rob.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
Actually after 25 years of Colorado Division of Wildlife trying to sell as many possible elk tags as they can and putting a ton of pressure on elk in Over the Counter units. The main rut in a lot of area's in Colorado has moved back from the middle of September to the first two weeks of October. Which starts 1st Rifle season and part of 2nd season in which the elk are in full rut. It has become easier to actually get a bull elk to step out of cover using a call during rifle season than it is during archery season in multiple heavy pressured units. Only once in the last 15 years has the elk rut started the 2nd and 3rd week of September in the southern units that I hunt. Main reason I believe for that was a cool and heavy wet month during that time. The cow elk dictate when the rut is and they have changed habits to start the rut during the 2 1/2 weeks between the end of archery season and the beginning of rifle season. At least that's what's happening in my neck of the woods.
I'd beg to differ with that. I'm out there every year and watching them in bow season. The rut is on and is better at the end bow season.

Stay with me here. In a heavy hunted area, the rut is over 1 minute into opening morning when it sounds like world war III.

Bulls like cooter but they like being alive more.

You have to get to some really secluded areas (or big tracts of private property) for the rut to be going on after the start of rifle season.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 06-01-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you saying they quit rutting competely in heavily hunted areas or just rut during the night hours outside of legal hunting time? If you are saying the former, I would ask what bred all those cows that are dropping calves the following Spring! The rut does vary from spot to spot as we have also noticed what he mentioned where we hunt in Wyoming every year at about 6500'-7000' elevation. As the years have gone by it seems that the rut has gotten later and sometimes the peak isn't until the first part of October when it used to be around September 20-25. Higher up it seems like they are still rutting earlier and haven't changed that much. Where we hunt has very light to no pressure at all, so I'm eliminating that out of the equation altogether.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Spike

Default Colorado

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I can't believe in 25 years you haven't figured out that the rut is over during rifle season.
I can't believe you haven't figured out that you can hunt elk with a rifle in September (limited entry) in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Alberta. Two of the biggest bulls I've killed were on September rifle rut hunts in Utah (Book Cliffs) and Montana (Bob Marshall Wilderness).

Sometimes it's better to keep quiet rather than open your mouth and reveal your ignorance.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Withabow
I can't believe you haven't figured out that you can hunt elk with a rifle in September (limited entry) in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona and Alberta. Two of the biggest bulls I've killed were on September rifle rut hunts in Utah (Book Cliffs) and Montana (Bob Marshall Wilderness).

Sometimes it's better to keep quiet rather than open your mouth and reveal your ignorance.

I see ya din't mention Colorado, Washington or Oregon in your insult to the lucky dog....but don't ya think that just maybe he was talkin about Colrado, as that's where he be from???? I can tell U thatin Washington the rut hunt's are mostly Bow with a few smoke pole hunts mixed in!!! I can tell U that I don't like to hunt the rut for anything cause the meat tastes like crap , plus it's hot than hades and the meat stands a good chance of spoiling!!!!!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you're saying luckydog can insult withabow for a post where no state was mentioned and now when the other responds with an accurate statement you're telling him the LD post only meant Colorado, LOL! LD has made two smartazz posts on this thread alone and seems to be good at it, so I would say that when he gets it thrown back in his face he well deserves it---just sayin and JMHO!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-06-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes it's better to keep quiet rather than open your mouth and reveal your ignorance
calling someone ignorant is an insult.................a wisecrack or sarcastic remark is just that...a wisecrack...............................just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.