Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear Baiting Question

Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Spike

Default Bear Baiting Question

So this is my first year hunting bears. I have one bait station. I am hunting in Eastern Idaho. Here is my dilemma, we set our bait and then had 1 grizzly and 1 or 2 black bears hit the bait 4 days later. The grizzly came in first at 2am and was there for about 20 minutes. He has not be back since. The black bear hit it for 3 days almost every morning and evening. The bears have not been back for about 2 weeks. I have not had any bears! We did go buy some tree stands and set them up 2 days after the last bear came in. Since then we have brought more bait up and had nothing come in.

We have a 55 gallon barrel chained to a tree and its about half full of barley rolled in molasses. Then I put some Boarmaster's Raspberry Donut mix in with it. This is all we had when the first bears came in. Since then we have used more boarmaster products. I have used their syrup and their blueberry spray. I have done a honey burn while hunting it and light bacon scented candles. We have also added real meat and bacon grease, along with about 5 gallons of cooking oil from a restaurant. Still no bears. I am having alot of crows come eat my meat though. Last night I have 60 pics on my camera in 4 days. All were crows.

I need some help. What should I do?

Here are some pics of our baiting station. What do you all think. Is there enough cover for the bears? I think that could be my problem? Our tree stands are set up 25 yards from the barrel.

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Bear Baiting Question-bear5.jpg   Bear Baiting Question-bear2.jpg   Bear Baiting Question-bear3.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

Did the bait run completely out before you rebaited? If they come back to an empty bait, odds of them not coming back are high. I believe boars will be wandering this time of year looking for sows in heat.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 AM
Spike

No the barrel has never ran out. We just always bring something in to add to the bait every time we are there. After about a 3 week lull. I finally have another bear in. The problem is it was a Griz, the good thing is he was only in there once and has not came back for 4 days. So with the Boars looking for Sows. Should I be using some type of scent for a Sow in heat? Do you think the Grizzly could run off all the black bears? I have not seen one for 3 weeks on our camera. I have alot of crows in my bait, will that make a difference? Are black bears more skittish than Griz?

Here are some pictures of the New Griz we have, he is pretty big. I also included a pic of the black bear to show what the size difference is.
Attached Thumbnails Bear Baiting Question-griz1.jpg   Bear Baiting Question-griz.jpg   Bear Baiting Question-bear1.jpg  
Old 06-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree the boars would be wandering and looking for a sow. Here the bears are hungry and are currently looking for anything to eat as well. With the green stuff growing in right now and new fawns being born the bears are finding food once again. They have been live trapping bears here that are coming into towns and getting into dumpsters and ect.. So i am not sure what is wrong with your site. My guess is you and whoever is leaving to much sent around for thier comfort..

For as far as grizzlys driving black bears off I can only imagine that they would. Most bears can be very territorial.. Good Luck on figuring out what is going on..
Old 06-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Spike

where in eastern idaho you at. I hunted the selway/bitterroot area last year and took a black bear. we went back and stayed in hamilton montana after the hunt and the locals were saying they have been seeing more and more grizzlys
Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

I would expect the dominant boar will make the rest skittish. Most black bears will stay well away from a grizzly in the area.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi tenner10. I hunt in Michigan. So, I don't know anything about grizzlies. Except to stay out of their way. Also, we can't hunt bears in spring.

With all that in mind. I think, if you have enough time. I'd start a couple more bait stations in other areas. Also, the more cover they have, the earlier they'll come to your bait. Thats based on our experience here in Mi.

Otherwise, I think the crows are sort of free advertising. Keep a variety of baits, and limit your scent as much as possible.

Good hunting!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Spike

Thanks for all of the information! We wanted to set up a few more baits but are running out of time. Tikka I am hunting up in Island Park, so thats is something we have to battle with, grizzlies. I have read that in Alaska there are alot of people that have no problem getting black bears in when they have grizzlies and brown bears coming in. We did bring some meat up and set it up a little ways from our barrel and we dug a hole and covered it with branches.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Spike

after baiting bears for over 15 yrs. i would have to agree that the grizzly's are your problem. they will drive off anything they don't want around including you, so be careful. if you change your bait station ,you will probably run into the same problem, so i would suggest trying to set up your station just a few days before the season starts and try that. i know that sounds strange and you might not agree but sometimes you don't have much choice. the reasoning is that there are more blacks than grizzlies and the chances are they will find your new station first and give you a chance for success before your problems start again. give it a shot and adapt to the situations presented to you, be creative. good luck