Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which boots to take on elk hunt?

Old 09-01-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Which boots to take on elk hunt?

Going on a remote elk hunt in northwest WY Oct 7-15 My question is I am going to take two pair on hunting boots!

We are hunting off horseback and I expect to be moving around quite a bit!!

Choices are :

I know one pair is going to be a pair of 400 Gram Cabelas Whitail extreme that I got this year! I have a choice for the Second pair would love soem advice

a pair of 16" cabelas 600 Gram ELK HUNTERS ( the ones that lace from the toe to the top) very stable and broken in! would need to put some snow seal or soemthing or silicone spray the outside again even thouygh then are goretex!

A pair of Rocky 800 gram Bear claws condura fit a bit big but very warm!~

Last apir I have to choose from is a older pair of the 1000 gram cabelas outfitters boot very very warm jsut a little heavier than i expect i will need!

Would Apprciate all advice from those who have been there before!!

THANKS
Old 09-02-2003, 01:14 AM

Default RE: Which boots to take on elk hunt?

Twister,

It is good to have footwear that you can match to your weather. Early fall can be fickle. You already have your " light/warm weather boots" chosen. Contact your outfitter/contact that you are going with and inquire as to just how cold and mean the opposite end of the weather continuum may be at that time of year, ask his recommendations and choose accordingly. Remember 1000 grams is 2.2 pounds and when you are elk hunting that weight can take a toll, of course if these are your " deep snow/cold weather" boots, then keeping warm is a worthwhile trade off.

Don' t assume that just because you are going horseback that there will not be a substantial amount of walking/hiking. So make sure that whatever boots you choose fit well and then give them a good work out to see where they are going to hurt you BEFORE you go elk hunting. Take moleskin with you.

Also, in any case, make sure you have a good pair of gaiters with you.

EKM
Old 09-02-2003, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I' d take the elk hunters an' a pair of packs. That week can see snow ' round here. I usually take two pair of hunting boots in the early season, but switch one pair out for packs after the first week of October. Forget the 1000 grams. That' s overkill. Maybe in November or December. Certainly not necessary for October. When you walk yer feet will get hot. You won' t be froze to a rock like whitetail hunting in New York. 600 grams is plenty. Plenty of good socks with liners is worthwhile too.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:28 AM

From those choices I would say the elk hunters.
You sure don' t want to wear boots that are too big and also don' t want boots that will be too hot.

If the 400gr boots have a good traction sole, good ankle support, and fit well (better a little too tight than a little too loose if you are going to be doing much hiking) you will probably use them most of the time.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wear the Danners with 600 gram.They are the only boots I wear hunting,I mean any hunting,any weather.If you are worried about snow buy a pair of leg gaiters,worried about cold wearther,use apair of thin boot socks and a heavy pair of wool socks.Worried about heat wear regular cotton socks and foot talc.If your still wondering go with Danners and just a pair of Gortex-hiking boots.You might get some argument from the guys who wear packs when horse backing,to them I say get off and lead the horse awile and keep the blood flowing to the feet.

If your feet,hands or head get cold,it makes hunting miserable.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:23 PM

THANKS BARE JACK THE ELK HUNTERS are so comfortable I just need to reconidtion the leather! what do youdo to hte leather on your before the season starts?

Snow seal or siicone spray on anything at all?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

I asked this question several weeks back and got some good replies. A search on " boots" will probably find it. Or a post by me.

I' m going in about 3 weeks, Montana. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

I see no reason to wear packers when riding in an' out of hunting camp. You ain' t rodeoin' . They sell oversized stirrups. Like BBJ said, you gotta be able to walk good to hunt. Them packers will turn yer feet into hamburger real quick. Ain' t worth a dam out of the saddle.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:38 PM

Check out schnees at ...............www.schnees.com/huntboots.html

They are Great Boots..