Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

Old 09-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters, anyone almost get shot while hunting?

6 years ago I went pheasant hunting on a preserve with a client (my buddy)and another guy outside of Colorado Springs. I have never met this other guy before, but my buddy did tell me that he was an experienced hunter. About an hour into our hunt we had a pheasant fly up and come right back on us, we were all standing in a line about 30-40 feet apart. This guy keeps swingging on the bird right toward my buddy. Bang, my friend starts yelling. He got 14 pellets up and down his leg. Thank god he was a crappy shot, because the bird was head level when he shot.

Still a running joke at deer camp in Wisconsin
Old 09-29-2003, 04:31 PM

this is my story and i' m stickin to it. Was hunting out of 1 of my stands about 100 yards inside the bush along a piece of land that we own. The land was posted hunting with permission only. Watched a doe feeding in the field about 200 yards away or so when i notice a truck coming along the edge of the field and a hunter pts on the binders and gets out to open fire on this doe with me directly behind the deer in the bush. at the point when bullets started to whistle by my stand i jumped down and layed on the ground till the stupidity was over. then i walked out and confronted the hunter who had gut shot the doe which was now going to require tracking. I explained to him that the land is posted for that reason because i am hunting just inside the bush i can see u but u can' t see me. then he asks if i can help him drag his doe out of the bush well sorry buddy i was late for school at the time and not to happy.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:30 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Hello Dr. Mike, yes 3 time' s twice in upstate NY and once in Colorado, 1st time I had shot a deer in a valley and was tracking it uphill thru a clearcut towards a dirt road, pickup truck pulls up on the dirt road with four shotgun toteing guys in the bed, they begin blasting at the deer before the truck stops rolling, I' m directly in line with the deer and truck and the slugs are flying. I had always said that if someone shoots at me I' m shooting back, let me tell you when the bullets are flying all you try to do is make youself as small as possible, I managed to put 230lbs behind a 3 ft stump until the smoke cleared, next time I was standing on the side of a hill when a deer started running just below me, a guy at the bottom of the hill started shooting at the deer and the slugs were again heading in my direction, I dropped to the ground and made myself as small as possible, and lastly in Colorado I again was on a hillside about 600yds from a dirt road and had been trying to shoot a 9x7 muley with 5 does, biggest muley that I had ever seen, when 3 vehicles pulled up and started blazing from the road, now we' re not talking shotgun slugs these are 7mags and 300 win mag' s etc, bullets are flying everywhere and the deer are coming up hill between me and the road , I have an orange hat and vest on so I tried waving at the shooters , finally which seemed like ten minutes but was probably 30 sec, someone yelled from the road stop shooting theres a man out there, I had one round left and at about 80yds I managed to drill the muley directly behind the shoulder' s,unfortunately I discovered later that the .338 250 gr nosler drilled a neat .33 cal. hole in one side and out the other, I tracked him until someone else shot him ( it still makes me sick when I think about losing that deer) anyhow I managed to catch one of the shooters and turned him in to fish and game.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:51 AM

I haven' t been diliberately shot at (mistaken for game), but had an errant shot explode my passenger side rear view mirror while driving out of the woods after a hunt. I stopped to see some deer running up the ridge and 2 hunters on the next ridge. I was basically in line with them when they missed there quary, and the bullet hit my truck. I yelled some obsinities and left.

Another incident was during an archery hunt several years ago. I was squatting against a tree when I heard another hunter above me stubling through some thick brush. He came into an opening some 50 yards above me on a ridge. I stood up to let him know I was there. My movement caught his attention, and to my surpise he started to draw back on me. I yelled, " What the $^%# are you doing!" . Obviously embarrassed he turned and walked away.

An aquaintence of mine had his horse shot out from underneath him. Surpisingly this was done by a person we knew as a " veretan hunter" .

3 brothers (friends of my uncles) were hunting elk together (archery) in Oregon. A bull came into range for one of the brothers, but his shot missed it' s target. Unfortunatly, he was not aware of the position of his brothers, and found the errant arrow in one brother (who died from the wound).

From the stories I have heard, hunting related shootings can come to the novice and the expert. The best defence is proper education and safety practices, and not becoming careless when your in the feild.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:49 PM

I have been an avid hunter since 1962 and still spend a considerable amount of time afield with a gun in pursuit of game. I can honestly say that I have never had a close call in regard to being shot. Also, I do not know of anyone personally who has been accidentally shot while hunting. During my adult life I have lost friends and family to cancer, heart disease, automobile accidents,pneumonia and suicide. None to an accidental shooting.
I wish that people like Dr. Mike would put their time, energy and money into finding a cure for the human afflictions that take thousands of lives each year.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:26 PM

I got shot Ounce in the leg with a 22 while duck hunting. a flock of geese landed just out of range between the road and i, a truck stopped and two guy`s got out shooting with 22`s they didn`t get any geese but they got my leg, lucky the bullet went through a 2 x 4 from my blind, It only wedged against my bone.
My mom was deer hunting, when a deer came running down a small hill to- wards her, Some guy started shooting hitting her in the hat, she only lost some hair, but when my dad got through with him i bet you he wished he`ed stayed home. She was in full orange, and they were hunting on our property, my mom never went hunting again
Old 10-13-2003, 07:32 PM

About 25 years ago while hunting the clockum for elk in Central Washington,I was sneeking down a ridge along the edge of a large wheat field in the sage brush at daylight and I heard a bullet zip by above my head!!!!!! Then I heard the gun shot from the other side of the wheat field!!!!!!Over a half mile away.It was opening dayof generalBull Elk season?I dropped to the ground and belly crawled back over the ridge in disbelief!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I Bow Hunt