Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Magazine Article on Do's and Don'ts when Hunting with an Outfitter

Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Magazine Article on Do's and Don'ts when Hunting with an Outfitter

Several years back I cut out and saved a good article (don't recall the magazine) on subject above (not physically where the article is and won't be prior to my friend's hunt).

A good friend is going to do an outfitted hunt this fall, and I wanted to pass along as many tips as possible on elk hunting in general, especially working with an outfitter.

Anyone recall a similar article, title was something like "16 things not to do when hunting with an outfitter."

I know the obvious, don't hunt with a muzzle break, not be in good shape, not have done any practice shooting ahead of time, etc.

Anyone recall the article or something similar?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know the article.

I've read that you don't shoot from horseback.

Know what your elk hunting objectives are and convey those honestly to your outfitter. Part of this surely involves realistically apraising the chances of your hunting unit delivering the elk you are seeking. Don't go hunting in area that only produces 300 class bulls expecting your outfitter to deliver a 370 class bull.

Don't bring too much gear. Bring what you can stuff into one large duffle bag.

Don't bring two rifles.

Don't be a poacher -- don't shoot game that does not qualify for legal taking. For example, know if antler point restrictions apply and if so make sure you understand those restrictions and comply with them. Be safe rather than sorry.

Don't take unethical shots that you can't make. By practicing your shooting before your hunt you should have a good idea what kind of shooting you can do and restrict your range accordingly. Outfitters probably don't like tracking wounded animals around and maybe fishing them out of terrible blowdown fields.

Keep your raingear easily accessible on horseback.

That's all I really know about outfitter kind of dos and don'ts. I do not myself hunt with outfitters or guides.

I would take rain gear. I would take clothes that allow me to layer my clothing so I can adapt my clothes to my needs -- take clothes off when I'm working hard of during the warm hours of the day; add clothes when I cool down or during the cold hours of the day. I would take good walking boots: even riding in on horseback you are liable to do some walking on rough, uneven ground. Take lip balm. Take a hat. Take sun glasses (sun on snow at 10000' altitude is very very bright). Take gloves. Don't forget your papers -- hunting license/permit/habitat stamp/hunter educatino card. If you have medication, don't forget to take it with.

Those are a few thoughts.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

did you mean "do bring 2 rifles" ?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Alsatian - all good points.

Other than a bucket list hunt I did in 2011 in NZ while working a project in nearby Australia, I've always hunted public land as well.

My friend and his two son in laws have booked a hunt with an outfitter and will be hunting somewhere in the greater Gunnison Basin. I don't have the outfitter's name.

I did find the artilce, was in Oct 2004 issue of the American Hunter, "Don't Make me Angry, 32 Ways to Tick Off Your Elk Guide."

Thanks again.