Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

DIY Hunts elk muley pronghorn!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Spike

Question DIY Hunts elk muley pronghorn!

Im starting to do some studying on doing some hunts out west.

right now im mainly focusing on hunting pronghorn out in wyoming on public land. a few questions..

what area?
do i need to build points?
anything else i need to know?

ive never hunting out west before and just dont know where to start. thanks everyone!
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Definitely buy a antelope point this year, there is a points only period.

In WY points are 30, 40, 50 dollars for antelope, deer, elk, and I would suggest you buy all 3 this year in the points only period.

In most states you lose points after not applying for 3 years.

Many state draws are already over with, CO is due at the end of this month, to gain a deer/elk point you must apply for deer/elk, there is a points only option, but you must front the full tag fees up front which you will get back minus whatever the point costs, so $300 and $500 each to apply which you get back for a point. I'd consider gaining a deer point in CO at least.

Last edited by salukipv1; 03-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Spike

ok thanks for the info how many points do you need to build up?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by curtgeier
ok thanks for the info how many points do you need to build up?
every state is different, but in most states the difference between 0 points and 1 point is huge,

in WY you can draw some good antelope units with 1 point,

some of the best CO deer units may need 18pts or more... although I don't plan to wait for one of those units.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think he meant to say that some application periods are over. The only draw that I know of that is done is Wyoming elk. Incidentally, if you don't buy a license or a PP for a species in two consecutive years in Wyoming you lose the PPs for that animal. The appliction period to buy PPs is 7/1-9/30 and you can do it online on the G&F website.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally the application deadline here in CO is the first Tues of April. The number of points required to get a buck deer license varies depending on season, and area. As few as 1-2 and as many as 20. Obviously the higher required points the more years the DOW shoots themselves in the foot by not providing a decent chance to get new hunters interested....but thats just my opinion.
I call it the "managing ones self out of a job" syndrome.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
The number of points required to get a buck deer license varies depending on season, and area. As few as 1-2 and as many as 20.
Is there a significant difference in Colorado between otc areas and areas that you can draw with only 1-2 points? How about for elk?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

subscribing to the huntin fool or eastmans' magazine would cover most of your questions btw.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pronghorn: if you are looking for a good hunt and good meat, just put in for one of the areas around Gillette, Wyoming. These typically have a 100% non-resident draw rate and LOTS of pronghorn. They do not have big heads. You have to choose what you want. Big heads, more complicated deal and consult with others. Good hunt for fun for good meat, go to an area around Gillette. Units 23 and 24 I think are those closest to Gillette. Get your plans for hunting land worked out. Many ranchers will accept a trespass fee to hunt on their ranch. Call the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game and get a list of ranchers who accept trespass fees from the Sheridan, Wyoming field office. Also investigate Wyoming "walk-in" areas. Go to a web site of the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game and investigate this. You can also hunt on public land, but you need to get Bureau of Land Management maps for the areas and figure out what is public and what is private. Be sure you have a way to DRIVE to the public hunting lands that does not involve crossing private ground. The Wyoming pronghorn application has already passed, so you can't now apply for a point that you might use in 2013.

Elk: Colorado has the easiest draw. Apply for a point in 2012. The deadline is early April. Go to the Colorado on-line site for the Departement of Fish and Game. You will need to apply for a point, and you will need to pay for a cow elk hunt -- about $350. You will get your money refunded -- all but $25. Apply for a license based on your point in 2013. You will want to figure out what unit and what season you will hunt in. You will want to learn what units have elk and where the elk are at in different seasons. Early in the fall the elk are up high, around tree line or 12000'. In November, after relatively heavy snows, the elk move to lower altitudes. The high country is usually public lands and anyone can hunt there. The low country is usually private lands, and you may need to pay a rancher $5000 to hunt elk on his land. So, it pays to get that issue figured out. The first elk rifle season typicaly happens about October 10-14 (5 days), and this is usually before the elk are driven to lower altitudes.

For elk hunting you will want to be in good physical condition. Lose weight. Do some cardiovascular work. Do some strength development. Legs are important. Walking 2 miles to 4 miles a day is useful. Know how you are going to get your elk meat out. These are seriously big animals.

Mule Deer: I don't know diddly about mule deer.

Last edited by Alsatian; 03-22-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

"The Wyoming pronghorn application has already passed, so you can't now apply for a point that you might use in 2013."

The application period for the draw closed on 3/15, but he could still buy a leftover license for unit 23 when they go on sale in July, as well as a PP for $30 when the application period for PPs only is open between 7/1 and 9/30. The same goes for a deer PP and it's $40. Those PPs would then be good for the 2013 draw.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-22-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.