Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunters, which mistakes have cost you game?

Old 08-23-2003, 01:10 AM

Default RE: Hunters, which mistakes have cost you game?

Paitence, paitence and more paitence is what I need, I' m just like Bare Back. I go too fast or don' t scan enough. My other big mistake was not waiting long enough after the shot and pushed a 6x4 Bull right to another party after I lunged him[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 08-23-2003, 01:13 AM

I reckin' I' ve made ALL the mistakes.
Haven' t we all though? I know I' ve done my share.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

FORGETTING TOILET PAPER AND HAVING TO WALK BACK TO THE TRUCK TO DO THE DEED!!!

WALKING BACK ALONG THE ROAD WHERE i STOPPED LOW AND BEHOLD BIG BUCK TRACKS[:@][:@][:@] CROSSED THE TRAIL. NOT EVEN 5 MINS LATER
Old 08-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-23-2003, 05:36 PM

Ok Otis,

I have you beat! Rode horseback 26 miles into the Selway Wilderness in 94 to discover I had left a very important item in the damn truck.......................

MY RIFLE!

Cost me 3 days of hunting.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

A GRUNT TUBE STICKING OUT OF MY LEFT BREAST POCKET COST ME A NICE BUCK WHEN MY BOWSTRING HIT IT AFTER I RELEASED. THE BUCK WAS ONLY 10 YDS, AND THE ARROW SAILED RIGHT UNDER HIM. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I HAVE NEVER CARRIED ANYTHING LOOSE ON THE FRONT OF MY BODY FROM THEN ON.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first year of antelope hunting I set my rifle 3" high at 100 yds. when it should of been set at 2" . I shot at a buck at about 150 yds. right over his back. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:51 AM

Moving too often or too soon. Over the years I' ve had deer close by only to discover them by seeing a flag(s) just seconds after moving from my stand or blind. Generally, we try to stay at a location until past dark or at some pre-determined time. But sometimes factors like wind conditions play a role in our decision to move and that' s when you realize how close that deer was. In public hunting areas hunter movement sometimes causes us to have to move when an area get saturated.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:40 AM

Not being prepared. Got to think like a boy scout - always be prepared. The times that I succeeded in spite of not being prepared were lucky coincidences.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:50 AM

3rd year whitetail hunting with a slug gun, first shot opportunity, I hit a nice fat doe too far back and high. I did not wait long enough and jumped her from the death bed she ran off dragging a hind leg. Never did recover that deer. I had the scope turned up to high for the close in shot.

Quick Reply: Hunters, which mistakes have cost you game?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.