Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How to get the Mrs. interested?

Old 08-20-2003, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to get the Mrs. interested?

Noway, would you let the government take your guns away from you? Or make you store them in a central location at your state capitol building? I highly doubt it. Why should the wife be able to take them away from you and make you store them at your office? That is who he is and that' s who he will be for the rest of his life and she probably knew that going into the marriage. Too many people are always trying to change someone else to fit a certain mold that they have in their mind. 99.9% of the time it doesn' t work. One person usually ends up resenting the other and eventually it gets ugly.

Not tryi8ng t be a marriage counselor but that' s JMO.

Sorry to get off topic.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' m with BigBulls on this one.Outdoors are apart of your life,but in our house hunting is part of living" meat on the table" and it is for other familes.

My guns are stored in house.I love guns and collect them,to have me store them some were else would be like taking my kids away.

You sound like newley weds,and in a marrige there are alot of give and take,my wife dose not hunt all the time with me maybe once or twice a year and she has not shot a animal in 3 years,but she likes to the excitement when we see a big buck or elk.
But hey if she dosen' t like to hunt thats fine,but my guns would stay.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 AM

bigbulls,
I respect your stance on the issue of keeping your guns at home.
That is probably the way most guys would go. I keep my guns at home also but if I did not reload and need to have them there it wouldn' t be a big deal to me to store them somewhere else.
On the other hand I also have big game heads and coyote skins and bear rugs hanging throughout my house. Those I would not like to store somewhere else and believe me the wife and I went round and round about it. That is an example of choosing your battles for me.

I think the relationships of married folks are very complex, some more than others.
In some the guy wears the pants and has a thats what I said and that' s the way it is relationship with his wife and if that works for them then more power to them.

In others there is a state of constant negotiation, give and take. This is the relationship I am talking about where you need to choose your battles.
I think the original poster probably has this type of relationship that is why I responded the way I did.

Would I let the government take my guns, noway, would I let the government put wolves into Idaho, noway. Oh wait, the ______s already did that!
Old 08-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Now I agree that marriage is about picking your battles but the little lady telling me I can' t have guns at the house. Well that would be a mini Pearl Harbor as far as I' m concerned.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:12 AM

We' ve had the guns in the house battle for almost 10 years now...No matter what steps I take to make the gun inoperable while stored at the house she pitches a fit...It' s easier to not argue about it. I just keep them in the office with all of my boos' s guns, no biggie as he and I hunt together anyway. I' m trying to figure out how to get her at least interested in guns and hunting because I know there' ll be a huge blow-up the first time I want to take our daughter out to shoot. (Still have a couple of years before that happens, she' s only 2) I' d like to pass on my love of the outdoors, hunting, and shooting to the little one, but like I said, I have to get past momma.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Brad
Old 08-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

Its good that you have a solution and are able to store your guns at the office. I just hope for your sake you don' t have to switch jobs ever. Where I work a gun on company property is grounds for automatic termination, period no questions asked. A couple guys got fired because they put some guns in one guys trunk to go to the range after work. Somebody saw it and snitched.

Sounds like your wife is closed minded about the subject. It sounds like you are going to continue to have lots of problems, especially with your little girl and if you ever have a boy. Good luck with your situation.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

We' ve had the guns in the house battle for almost 10 years now...No matter what steps I take to make the gun inoperable while stored at the house she pitches a fit

I know there' ll be a huge blow-up the first time I want to take our daughter out to shoot.
To be perfectly honest about it. If after ten years and she aint come around yet she probably aint going to. As far as your daughter is concerned it just might have to end up being one of the " I am taking (insert daughters name here) shooting to learn how to handle a firearm properly and to teach her my love of the out doors and hunting. If you want to come you are welcome. If not, that' s fine, stay here but we are going." She probably won' t like it and that' s fine. She doesn' t have to. Your daughter has the right to experiance everything that either parent want to teach them and she has the right to make up her own mind about it with out any negative criticism form the other parent.

It may be easier to not argue about the guns and keeping them at your office may work for you but I would not budge on this one.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tickle her " fancy" ... Oh, you' re talking about hunting.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:12 PM

You gotta be careful getting your " significant other" too spun up about hunting. She gets the fever and next thing you know you buy 2 of the hottest new bows and 2 new rangefinders and 2 new..........................................
Old 08-25-2003, 10:19 PM

I' m sorry, but if the mrs. told me to keep the guns out of the house I' d be putting her car up for sale and she' d be walking everywhere. After all, cars kill way more people than guns.

Frankly, if it' s been 10 years you may not be able to convince her. I' ve been married 9 years and my wife doesn' t have any desire to go hunting with me. She isn' t against hunting, it' s just something she doesn' t do. We do plenty of other things together, so I consider my hunting time as MY time. However, she is a gun shooting nut so that' s one thing we get out and do together. I have three kids 4,7 and 8 and all of them have been out hunting with me and she hasn' t said a peep. The 4y.o. already shoots a .22 too.

Quick Reply: How to get the Mrs. interested?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.