Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2012 Antelope

Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Spike

Default 2012 Antelope

Planning a Wyoming antelope trip for September 2012. Looking like area 69,70 or 31 as I only have 1 preference point. Does anyone have any info on these two hunt areas? Not looking to get a trophy but a good representation of the species as this will be my first trip outside of Illinois.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know much about those specific areas other than Natrona Co. is suppose to be int he top 4 WY counties.

Did exactly what you want to do in 2012 this year, from IL...to WY, DIY public land.

Before it comes time to apply for a tag, check the draw odds carefully! All the info is there, it may take a few times to figure out what all the #s are saying.

With 1 point your draw odds tend to go oup greatly, but even with 1 point you may not be able to draw, you may consider paying extra for the special tag to guarantee yourself a tag this year! ie if your odds go from 5% or no chance at all with a regular tag, to 100% or 75% with a special tag, it may be worth paying for it.

I bought a special tag this year because odds went from no chance 0% for the regular tag to 100% with the special tag. if I waited for the regular tag I would have had to wait another 2 years, so pay twice as much this year? or wait 2 more years, and pay for bonus points, to draw the tag?

We scored on 2 nice bucks, 83" and 80" was shocked, ground growth!

These things are so tough to judge, the difference from 70 to 75 to 80 to 85 doesn't look like much, so if one looks bigger than the average bucks you're seeing, take it! probably. I wouldn't take just the 1st buck I see or can, especially if it's a dink, you'll get a chance at a nice/decent antelope especially if you don't take the first buck you see, ie take a 70 or 75 instead of a 60.

Look for mass and diggers!

Good luck, you should have a blast! Consider carrying a pistol with snake loads for the rattlers... Didn't see any ourselves but ran into a party of 4 in the same unit who was seeing multiple rattlers daily!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

With 1 PP you should be able to draw unit 27 in the Grasslands. It has plenty of antelope and lots of public ground to hunt. Just get decent maps of the area and go have fun. I saw some bucks over 80" there in 2010 and will probably go back this year with the 1PP I have. Also, skip the first few days and you will miss the bulk of the crowds out wherever you go and there are plenty of animals, so don't worry about needing to go on the opener. I've hunted Wyoming most every year since 1994 and wished I could live out there.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 AM
Spike

Thanks for the information Salukipv1 and Topgun 3006, it was very helpful, especially about the snakes, never thought about there being snakes around!! Contacted the Casper regional office today and got a list of ranchers who allow antelope hunting in areas 70 and 31 as these two areas have 100% draw without points and close to Alcova Lake where I'll be camping. I'll put in for a hard to draw area like 68 as my first choice and area 31 or 70 as a second choice and earn an axtra point for 2013. I'm going to call the Sheridan office and get info on area 27 as well. I must say the lady I was dealing with over the phone from WG&F was extremely nice and helpful, quite a change from Illinois DNR where everyone seems to think your up to something!! Having never hunted outside of Illinois I may be jumping the gun on this stuff just hate to screw something up!!! Now to get my first rifle, I'm looking at a Savage 270 for antelope beginning in 2012 and mule deer in the near future.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

270 is a great round, and actually as big as I would ideally go for antelope, I started off with a 270 and now have a .243win pretty much exclusively for antelope hunting/dedicate rifle, also my new varmint /coyote rifle though too.

Lot's of great options... 25.-06, .257wby, 270win probably gives you more versatility though, maybe consider the 270wsm too?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

btw if it's 100% draw, checkout what draw odds are for it as a 2nd choice? if they're 100%, you could apply for a great area as your #1, not draw it, and draw your #2nd ie 1st real choice and still gain a bonus point this year!