Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Going bear hunting and have a ?

Old 08-16-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Going bear hunting and have a ?

Well I am going Bow hunting in canada for Bear in a few weeks and need to know what documents I will need to go across the border some say all I need is my SS# and drivers license and others say I will need birth certifacate? Any help would be great. And Thank You for your time
Old 08-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Going bear hunting and have a ?

Chevman, you will need a picture ID, (drivers license) and birth certicate, or SS card. If you are going with a firearm, make sure you have your forms filled out, but dont sign them until you get there, and sign the form in front of the inspector. People make it out to be a bigger hassel than it really is. Several times that I have gone over, they havent even checked our ID' s. Biggest thing to remember, dont try to BS the inspectors. Be straight up with them, and dont be a wise guy.
Good luck on the hunt, Im being told there' s lots of bears this year.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:21 PM

You will need picture ID and a copy of your Birth certificate together, or if you a passport that' ll do all by itself. I used to cross the border alot using only only an ID, but since 9/11 them days are gone. Kip had good advice. Be straight up with customs folks and don' t BS them. If you answer their questions and don' t try to be a comedian you' ll buzz right through.
I' m not positive, but I don' t think you have to declare a bow like you do firearm. That would be something worth checking on.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Instead of screwing around asking questions on this BBS about something that important, call the U.S. Immigration and or Customs service and ask them about coming back. Call the Canadian Customs/Immigration folks and ask them about going into Canada. Call your outfitter for additional information about who should be called for official information instead of relying on those of us on this board that are more than willing to share our misinformation with you.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all your repies. I leave friday morning to go up to canada I did call and I have all the info I needed now but you guys had the answers here also so a big thank you to all. You all have a Great hunting Season!!!!!