Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose hunt

Old 08-14-2003, 01:18 PM

Default moose hunt

I am going on my first moose hunt in october with an outfitter(alberta), since this is a rut hunt should I try to find moose urine, if so does anyone know where to buy it----------I use deer urine when deer hunting, trying to find out if you can hunt moose the same way.

THANKS
Old 08-14-2003, 02:26 PM
nub

Default RE: moose hunt

Hmmm, first time moose hunter, with a guide, during the rut. [:-] Theres gonna be piss alright. Hope it aint from you.[]

Seriously tho Mako, moose piss probably won' t hurt your chances. Take some if you can find it. I' m assuming your bowhunting? If the moose are really bringing it, your gonna have a blast. Might want to make sure you have a way to keep the arrow on the rest.

Old 08-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would say don' t bother bringing the P with you. I have hunted moose in western canada for years and calling techniques when they are hot in the call work very well. Since you are being guided I would assume your guide will provide all the calling required to entice a bad boy into range. Just follow his lead and if you do have to call on your own, then use the standard bull grunt and cow call with the aid of a birch bark call,etc. Something that has worked for me when hunting near water is pour water in the lake or stream to simulate a moose urinating. I just use a coffee cup and incorperate it into my calling. If you have a bull hung up in diamond willows, etc. try coaxing him out with racking of the trees, using a moose shed, shoulder blade, etc using low toned grunts(OOOWAA, OOOWAA). Most likely the outfitter will have some of these laying around, if required.

If it is 100% guided chances are you wont have to worry about positioning, calling, etc just sit back and take your Monsta!

Have fun and good luck!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not necessary at all.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 PM

thanks for your info, it is a rifle hunt, the outfitter told me that you still have to call them in close because of heavy cover. I also purchased a tag for bear & mule deer just in case I tag out early or something stumbles by, the outfitter throws in a tag for wolf & coyote. I will let you know the details when I return.

THANKS AGAIN
Old 08-14-2003, 07:40 PM

STUBBLE JUMPER, I actually felt it wasnt a great idea, but the closer the hunt comes the more excited I get & try to any ideas that will help--------

I dont know if you remember, I asked you about a bear outfitter in your area (DALE MCKINNON)
I did book the hunt for may 20, 2005,My friends & I took the whole camp for the week ( 6 of us), we will be in FORT MCMURRAY for 1 day if your in the area we will try to meet you for beer.

thanks
Old 08-14-2003, 10:09 PM

Mako: I' m going on my first moose hunt this year in N. Saskatchewan in what the outfitter has described as the " heat of the rut" I' m so excited I can' t hardly stand it!. I live near Sacramento CA where the temperature has been in triple digits for the past 3 weeks and I' m wearing my wool around the house to make sure it fits proper. I' m a rifle elk hunter so I get to hear a lot of animals talkin' but don' t really get to call them in hot! I' m primed for great experience!!
The only saving grace is that I have an early September mule deer hunt here in CA to tide me over till the real action starts!!!

Good luck on your hunt! Thank heavens the meat ban has lifted and we can go hunt without that worry!
Old 08-15-2003, 04:26 PM

One word of advice is DO NOT SPILL IT ON YOURSELF! Man, it stinks worse than any smell I know of including skunk.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:35 AM

Theres gonna be piss alright. Hope it aint from you.
[] Wife is going to kill me There is coffee all over the Keyboard

All I can think of is Randy in that bush and The bull raking it!
Old 08-16-2003, 06:24 PM
nub

I would of had more the pee in my pants pal. A huge bull moose sticks his head in a bush I' m hiding behind, and starts thrashing it, I' m crappin my drawers![] His bow didn' t do him much good from that distance and angle. I' d still love it tho. 40 more days or so. CYA soon.[:-]