Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Finally got a deer!

Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Spike

Default Finally got a deer!

On the last day of the Mule Deer hunt in utah my dad and I woke up at 6 45 to head out in hopes of catching the deer going to their beds for the day. We go out to where we were hoping to intersect the right as it was getting light out. There were around 7 does in the field next to us that were heading toward the property we were hunting, as they jumped the fence I looked toward the river that was about 600 yards away and i saw deer starting to come over. I instantly saw one was an ok 2 point and got extremely excited because he was on the right property. I snuck down about 50 yards and took 2 shots I missed though!!! I was so disappointed as they ran back into the trees and disappeared. Suddenly they ran out of the trees and onto the bordering ranch. I was praying that they would take the same route that the first 7 did. We watched them eat for a good 45 minutes and finally they started heading our way. As they approached the fence line my heart started pounding like crazy. Right as the first doe was about to jump she winded me and took off with the other 9 does in the heard, but for some reason unknown the buck just stood there for another 15 minutes..(i was praying this whole time he would jump the fence.) After what felt like the longest wait of my life he ran toward me at a dead run jumped the fence and didn't stop running. I squeaked whistled and grunted but hee just wouldn't stop. When the deer was at 40 yards i decided he wouldnt stop running so i took a broadside running shot that got double lung and liver. I missed the follow up shot and he fell 5 yards from where i hit him!!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on your buck! Sounds like he had a death wish at the end there. lol Practice some shooting in field conditions.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Great story bud, congrats