Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Aproppriate max shot

Old 08-13-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Aproppriate max shot

Hey everyone, im going to be going on my first elk hunt this year, im going to be using my bow, im having a very hard time figuring out what i should set my bow up for, im comfortable with my shots, but just wanted to get an average distance
Old 08-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aproppriate max shot

I prepare by shooting regularly at 60 yards but I have never shot at an elk at those ranges.

Most of the elk I have shot with my bow have been at thirty yards and under.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Being your first elk hunt, Make sure you consider some important matters such as bow poundage. I like to see 60# or more, you can take them with less, but consider some situations that may occur such as drawing from both knees or one knee, or one or both knees drawing in an odd position because elk comes in a spot you didn' t think he would. You may be able to draw, but can you do it smoothly with little detection. Something to think about and by all means practice shooting in these positions, you' ll be glad you did.
As far as average distances go, most elk are taken in the 20 to 30 yrd range. Assuming you shoot a compound, elk can be taken effectivley out to 45yds. Practice those 10 and 15 yd shots as well so you have total confidence in equipment and abilities both. For example my setup is a Hoyt set at 74lbs with Gold Tip 7595 arrows with weight tubes and 130 grn Muzzy 4 blade head, total arrow weight 490grns. This is a very effective combo for elk. Good Luck. elknut1
Old 08-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

My max range for all critters I hunt is 45 yards, even though I can shoot accurately further. However to date the longest shot I have ever taken was 38 yards on a Mulie Buck in the wide open! I have taken 2 Elk and 3 Bull Moose with Archery gear, the closest was a 45" bull moose at 11 Yards and the furthest was my 5x5 bull elk at 30 yards. My other elk was shot at just inside of 20 yards. I think only the guy shooting can determine what his max range is, but most guys try to get their quarry within that magical 20-30 yards. As elknut suggest practice all forms of drawing and shooting, then setup your limitations based on your effectiveness. Groups in the back yard often open up quite a bit in the heat of the moment, just saying if you can just hit the pie plate at 45 yards with no pressure you' d better think long and hard about where you should max out your range at!!! Also this must be done with the BH you are using, not field points.

Good Luck!!! I leave in 9 days for an Elk hunt, I have been practicing shooting and calling nightly...can' t wait to get out and hear them talk(HOPEFULLY).
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 AM

There was an article in one of the bowhunting mags years back that addressed this. If I remember correctly they recommended using a plastic soup bowl as your max group size, then at what ever max range where you can still keep them in the bowl is your limit, this is with hunting setup and from varing positions. I would also add practice some snap shots i.e. draw back with pin on target and as soon as you come to full draw shoot. Practice these at up to 20 yd.
Hope this helps