Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear baiting / Bear Disappeared

Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Spike

Default Bear baiting / Bear Disappeared

Looking for opinions!!!!!!!

-Station was setup on a Thursday
-Following Monday Station Hit, Rebaited with App 20 lbs neat and Chicken Grease
-Tuesday Hit , Rebait with Meat and 5 Gal Chicken Grease
-Wednesday Hit, rebait with 2Gal Dogfood, Pint of Mollasses and 5Gal Chicken Grease. Sat in Blind with Honey Burn for 2-3 hrs. Evening Hunt.
-Thursday Hit, rebait with 2Gal Dogfood, Pint of Mollasses and 5Gal Chicken Grease. Sat in Blind with Honey Burn for 2-3 hrs Evening Hunt.
-Friday NO HIT, rebait with 2Gal Dogfood, Pint of Mollasses and 5Gal Chicken Grease. Sat in Blind with Honey Burn for 2-3 hrs Evening Hunt.
-Saturday NO HIT, Bait Good, Sat in Blind for 2-3 hrs Morning Hunt and Evening.
-Sunday NO HIT, Bait good, refreash with more Molasses and Smeared Bacon fat in Stumps and Trees. Added a gal of Chicken Gease to site. No Hunt

Is it possible that the Honey burn was the problen for my bear disappearing form the Station.

Looking for a possible oversite on my part.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Is it possible someone else killed your bear?
Live it up! Deerwoods Doug
Old 10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here the bears stopped coming to the baits because there was a lot of berries and apples this year. Also most here bait with old out dated sweets that they get from the stores. Some will travel quite a distance to get thier bait for them however. They still will use a lot of grease around the baiting site though. So my question would be is there a lot of berries, apples, or nuts from the oak or beach nut trees? If so that is prolly what had happened to the bears leaving your site.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 AM
Spike

Phil from Maine, thanks for your input.

But thats just the thing , we are into fall here in Newfoundland and All the Berries have died off and all that is really left for a bear would be Grass and Sudges etc.... Maybe the odd Gut pile from Moose hunters carcess. I would have though that maybe bears will wonder off for a day or two!!!!.

I will keep the bait fresh , hopefully the bear will return. Plenty of Marmallow and Mollasses. Im also in the process of getting some more Meat to add to the mixture.

Thanks again
Ray
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Spike

Good News

The bear or at least another has returned. I make have jumped the gun on his thread.

Anyway Im in the process of getting pic(Will post some), from my trail cam.

I'm still a little weary on the Honey burn?

Cheers and Happy hunting
Ray
Old 10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Is it possible that something else changed in the area,like, could someone else have started baiting nearby?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Spike

Murdy, it is possible but I dont think so. We are a small town of app 700 poeple and everybody general know what the other is doing. We all know how small towns work. LOL.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Spike

Well guys this bear baiting thing has totally weird. I had a bear or Bears hit my station again and left, it has been another 3day and still no Hit.

The night after the hit I found two Large scat piles. Is it possible for One bear to drop two piles in one night?

Have anyone else experience this kind of bear habit?
Do you think it is normal for a bear not to return to such a good food cash?

Maybe my Station isnt stinky enough, Perhaps I should look for some more moose meat. The Liver and Lungs from a friends kill is still there, so I dont know.

I would have though that when a bear found the station and the food was plentful, he/she would stay close. What do you think of the situation?

So let hear it, we all have an opinion

Cheers and good hunting
Ray
Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Spike

Maybe your bear does'nt like liver?LOL More than likely, he/she found another food source, another big patch of berries, or someone else is using another bait that the bears like better, day old pasterys come to mind. Add some molasass and rasberry jello to your honey burn, cook it up and see what happens.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe you are putting out too much food. Just an idea. Drop the honey burn too. Anytime there is a change in the bait it is not a good thing.

Switch over to dried corn and no more meat stuff. I usually use a good stink bait to get them in (beaver, etc) and then get them onto dried corn. They love it and it is clean to handle.

Remember it is hunting get out on the stand and make it happen and enjoy the fall. As fall progresses they do slow down their eating.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.