Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question for bear experts - no bait, no dogs

Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

He can't bait TR. If this were me, unless I had a GREAT spot I knew I could set up and see a bear, I would try to still hunt the likely areas. Your best bet will be to cover as much ground and glass as much cover as you can. If there are bears in the area, that will be your best chance of seeing one and getting in for a shot.
Good luck! I have no experience on calling bears.
-Jake
Old 09-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe its a location thing.ive hunted 2 different camps in Ontario in the fall and those bears where meat eaters. would step over sweet stuff to get the meat scraps. Maine is different. they seem to prefer sweet stuff. not many videos on predator calling bears but i bet its more of an out west thing. not that it wouldnt work but if you call in coyotes there gonna not make things too bear friendly.i would bait. also get some cooking oil and vanilla extract and shake it in a big spray bottle. spray it up high in the tree limbs of spruces and evergreens. the oil will make the scent stick and not dry out. vanilla is the scent in most pastries. cheaper than anise.