Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk gun calibers

Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Wouldn't you know it, I had the bull of my dreams at 385 yards. He just stood there and fed. I had all day to take a shot. If I had my 300 RUM, he would be on my wall right now but I had to let him walk without firing a round.
That's the stuff great hunting memories are made of. If the bull of your dreams were hanging on your wall, would there be such a thing as the "bull of your dreams" anymore?

Running a quick comparison in LoadBase using 2600 and 3200 fps for .308 Win and .300 RUM respectively, and a .507 BC 180 grain bullet, no wind, all other variables equal: at 385 yards, the .308 will drop 46.3", while the .300 RUM will drop 30". What does 46.3" or 30" look like at 385 yards? I'd suggest that if you can't estimate 46.3" from various elk body parts (legs, chest depth, etc.), you're unlikely to be able to estimate 30" either. If I'd "had all day", I'd have been able to convert 46.3" to scope adjustments and held dead on. I'd have been able to do the same thing with my .30-06.

But, all things considered, I'd have done just as you did and let him walk. I might have thrown the big lens on the camera and taken a few photos, but I'd have let him walk.

I think you made a good choice.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by homers brother
If I'd "had all day", I'd have been able to convert 46.3" to scope adjustments and held dead on. I'd have been able to do the same thing with my .30-06.

But, all things considered, I'd have done just as you did and let him walk. I might have thrown the big lens on the camera and taken a few photos, but I'd have let him walk.

I think you made a good choice.
All day in elk hunting is translated into a couple of minutes. The problem I had was a 30.06 that was very cool and a 18 1/2 inch barrel. I know you lose FPS when you lose barrel length but I had no idea where my shot would have went at that distance. I didn't even think of taking that shot. If that elk would have been anywhere near 200 yards or less, game on. All I could think of was to get closer. That obviously didn't work.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Typical Buck

I'm going for the 270win on this one. All because of some of the latter stated facts where distance was an issue and time frame of making the shot. See in the public land elk hunting world nothing is absolute. Your not going always get that perfect set up or minutes of time to aim, range, and set up solid rests. Here's where I might add some common sense to the logic of speed vs bullet size in the elk hunting world or some might just think i'm nuts but anyway it works for me and everyone else I take out hunting.

3000 fps is the king of all quick shots. Almost any caliber you get to the 3000 fps mark will hold a trajectory in the 10,20 and 40 inches of drop if sighted in at 200yards. So therefore at 300 yards it's going to drop 10 inches or less, 400 yards it's going to drop 20 inches or less and at 500 yards 40 inches or less. Shooting an elk with an average chest cavity of 28" in depth. 300 yards shoot middle of the body for height, 400 yards top of the back and at 500 yards aim 18" to 24" over it's back. 500yards is a more trickier shot but 95% of the time this will nail them depending on bullet design. The reason the 10,20,40 rule works 99% of the time is because that hold will put you within 4 inches just above the heart every time. And that folks is one dead elk. Heart shots are perfect and can't be beat but in any given Sunday morning on the mountain you may not have time to shoot that perfect shot into a four inch circle at 400 yards. But all this is for bullets that travel over 3000 fps and in medium weight bullet range.

It may sound totally insane to some of the Elmer Keith minded folks out there but when it comes down a Bull of my dreams at over 400yards I want one of my rifles that's zipping out there where I may not have but just a few seconds to get a range and a mediocre rest and put him on the ground without going through a mental meltdown of bullet drops. If a hunter knows his rifle like the back of his hand then by all means ignore everything I just said. But unless you truly shoot paper up to the distances your willing to kill game you don't know what your rifle is going to do at those ranges. And for hand loaders vs factory ammo buyers the 270win will beat the 308 win and vise versus depending on how the load is set up. But the last secret of all this is at 250 yards or less none of this makes a hill of beans and if your never going to shoot over those distances it makes no sense to debate any of it because you should be almost capable of pin pointing any shot you take with almost any caliber. Yes shot placement wins the day and the man that practices the most wins the most.

I'm not a fan of shoulder shots and have never seen an elk not recovered shot through both lungs. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In closing having to make split second decisions not shooting someone else's rifle and getting the kill at longer distances for most hunters I choose speed over everything else. Less drop does mean a more precise shot placement. To me it's not a bore size debate in the heat of the moment it's a trajectory issue. And at 250 yards or less might as well have the biggest bullet you can chunk out there. Field test 25 years watching all calibers and shooters shoot elk at all sorts of ranges and scenario's.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

just a ? what make and model are your guns?i mean if the 308you own is a rem model 770,i probably wouldnt take it lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Spike

I've been hunting elk for 14 years and have had the opportunity to harvest enough to know that they are very tough animals. I use a 30.06 with 180 grain silver ballistic tip cartridges and I've had elk keep running for miles until I put another round in them.

Both calibers would put elk down. I'll echo the 180 grains also. I've used a lesser grain when I was younger and lived to regret it.