Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

2011 Dall Sheep Hunt

Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jerry d
Nice pictures Jeff. Man that's beautiful country.So where's the photo of your dads ram?
Being a whitetail hunter from the northeast i'm curious on how do you prepare for a hunt like that? What equipment do you bring? Your over 20 miles in not much room for margin of error. You know i'm talking about? Tent,sleeping bag, cooking gear ect ect...
What caliber rifle do you carry on a hunt like that? I know you don't need a magnun to kill a ram.........but you're in Alaska.
If you want to post how you prepare for a wilderness hunt and the equipment you take along with you i'd be very interested in reading it.
Congrats on a succesful hunt!!
Jerry,
You obviously have to do a lot of physical and logistical planning for a hunt like that. 45 miles on foot means you have to get in shape so you don't crap out half way in and have to give up. Gear selection is paramount as well. You have to decide what's necessity and what's luxury. Little things like the rangefinder, that most people would throw in their pack without a second thought, get left behind. I even went so far as to cut half of the handle off of my toothbrush just to shave some weight and space. I brought my small Brunton stove and we ate primarily Mountain House, Clif bars, oatmeal, and jerky. Canned foods and anything with excessive water weight is out of the question. My Dad used my .300 Win Mag for this hunt. It would have been a hassle for him to fly his rifle up, so we just took mine to the range beforehand and he got himself dialed in with it. That 300 shoots flat and hits plenty hard for anything out there. That's my go to firestick 9 times out of 10 when I head out around here. Here's some of my favorites from my gear list...

Kenetrek Hardscrabble Boots - I've beaten the hell out of those things on sheep and goat hunts and they look like they're just broken in.
Wiggy's Sleeping Bags - Light weight and they keep their loft when they get wet.
T.A.G. Bags - They're the hands down best light weight game bag on the market.
Kryptek Cadog Shield Jacket & Pants - Really comfortable in a wide range of weather.
Badlands 4500 backpack - I've run that thing through the ringer for almost 10 years and it's still going strong.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes it does Jeff thanks.All together different world then what i'm used to.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome Story! pictures speak a 1000 words