Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Unit 62 again

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Spike

Default Colorado Unit 62 again

Hey guys,
So I have been lurking and reading this forum for a long time now, but never really posted that much.
I know this has been beat to death but I am looking for some pointers on Unit 62. Myself and three friends are going up there to archery hunt elk the first week in September and we wanted to know about the camping and ATV's?

Can we just camp off any of the open roads? We are planning on having a base camp and going from there each day.

Also, is there a real need to bring ATV's? I have read some other places that most of the roads are closed to ATV's? Basically, we are trying to figure out if it is worth us dragging ATV's up there if we can't use them that much anyway. We would rather do the hiking, but if that is going to put us at a terrible disadvantage of getting to the elk then we will take ATV's.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to come hunt with some fun Alabama boys bring it on.
Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Are you hunting in a National Forest?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alltlk4
Are you hunting in a National Forest?
Yeah we will be in the Uncompahgre NF.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Then an ATV will not be much more useful than a pick up. You can't take them off road in any way. Some trails might be able to get to with an ATV that a truck can't but as far as packing out elk it will be little help. We take ours but that is to help hunters spread out since we ride 5 in a truck to get out to Colorado. You can camp basically anywhere but need to be up on forest service rules. They follow them to a T.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Spike

Then an ATV will not be much more useful than a pick up. You can't take them off road in any way. Some trails might be able to get to with an ATV that a truck can't but as far as packing out elk it will be little help. We take ours but that is to help hunters spread out since we ride 5 in a truck to get out to Colorado. You can camp basically anywhere but need to be up on forest service rules. They follow them to a T.
Yeah we will be riding 4 in the truck. Have you hunted Unit 62? What rules are you talking about? ATV rules or camping rules? I have read some for both and they don't seem too bad, just basically don't be a slob and leave the place better than you found it, but I learned that in scouts. :-)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Forest rules mainly. I have never been to 62 but been to others. Guy in camp next to us got fined because one tire track was off the regular path. We burned a plastic water bottle in our fire and were fined. We have hunted in colorado since 2004 and always on public land. We are clean and pack in and out everything we bring but this guy came down on everyone camping near us with no warnings and plenty of fines. Gave another guy a fine for having his OHV sticker on the left bumper instead of the right or the other way around.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Spike

Forest rules mainly. I have never been to 62 but been to others. Guy in camp next to us got fined because one tire track was off the regular path. We burned a plastic water bottle in our fire and were fined. We have hunted in colorado since 2004 and always on public land. We are clean and pack in and out everything we bring but this guy came down on everyone camping near us with no warnings and plenty of fines. Gave another guy a fine for having his OHV sticker on the left bumper instead of the right or the other way around.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think we are going to take ATV's now. I looked at some more maps in detail and there appears to only be a few trails that only allow ATV's. So we are going to just hike it each day.

If anyone else has any good pointers it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by killerusmc7; 08-03-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Spike

I sent you a pm .............
Old 08-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by War Eagle
I sent you a pm .............
reply sent. thanks so much
Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Spike

I would recommend taking the ATV's. There are many ATV trails in unit 62. It will really depend on where you are camping. I would rather bring them and not need them, than to be sitting at camp wishing you had one there.