Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Looking for some good elk cow/calf calls

Old 08-05-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Looking for some good elk cow/calf calls

I have hunted elk for about 5 years now. I have had no success and I am looking for some calls that my help me out. I have several calls and they all sound good 90% of the time. The other 10 % they jam up and make crazy sounds. I was wondering if people could recommend their favorite elk calls. One I am interested in I saw years ago, but I can not remember the name or find it. It has a camo rubber coating on the calls. I think there were three sizes. The name of these and/or any calls that work for you will help.

thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for some good elk cow/calf calls

Yes most plastic reed type cow calls seem to saliva up, especially when needed the most. The cow call you describe is called the " Sceery" or something like that. (spelling) Another of my favorite ones is called the " Hyper Lip Single" by primos.
In addition to one of those or both, is a mouth diapghram reed in your mouth, like a single or no bigger than a double reed, you can make great cow sounds with these as well, they all complement each other. elknut1
Old 08-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Sceery is it. Thanks and thanks for the other info.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:25 AM

sb: I recently posed a similar question. That thread is below. A lot of these guys have some pretty good thoughts. I' ve hunted elk for a long time, but never specifically for cows during the early archery season. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards getting a visual on them through sign/spotting/tracking (the usual) and then only employing noise if they seem to be in the area but are being shy. I just picked up a Primos cow/calf reed call that comes with a tape (I really needed it for the calf noise) It' s pretty decent. Definitely easier to use than my Sceery cow call.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:56 PM

There are a lot of good calls out there. The Sceery is one of them. When I used them I had to carry 3 because of they start to " quack" after just a little use. I like the Premos " Hoochie Momma" squeeze type call. There a little big but they sound great.