Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need advice on HUnting boots in Western Washington

Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Spike

Default Need advice on HUnting boots in Western Washington

I am starting to bow hunt deer/elk in Western Washington and I need some help on buying a good boot. Some folks I have talked to say that 100% waterproof is a must, a muck boot, gator, etc. Since there are so many out there I was hoping some folks could tell me of some brands that are tried and true. Not sure if 2000g thinsulate is necessary or if I should get a spring boot and a winter boot or just one. Anyway if all that makes sense that is where I am at. Appreciate any assistance you can offer. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Spike

Anyone, Anyone
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

We all have more than one pair of boots.

If I hunted in western Washington, you know the first pair I brought would be 100% waterproof (tall-rubber).

I use Lacrosse in those conditions.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LaCro...h-All+Products
Old 05-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Spike

Cool. Thanks. I came across this last week but after seeing several they all start to look the same. Will the 1200g thinsulate be adequate for most conditions in Washington?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

More is better, than not enough..........in most cases actually. LOL !
Old 05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I did a fair amount of hiking around Western WA this past year while working there. I wore my Goretex lined Lowa hiking boots most of the time, and the times when I didn't I wore my Danner work boots that also are Goretex lined. Most of the guys that I know that work there use the Lacrosse or Muck boots in the winter months. Now if you are going to be spot and stalk hunting I wouldn't recommend a heavily insulated boot but rather something in the 200-400gram fill. Your feet will sweat and will cause blistering and once you stop for extended periods of time your feet will get cold no matter how many grams of insulation you have. I have walked many many many miles in boots (former Army) in very wet conditions and always wore good Goretex lined leather boots. Now if you are going to be stand hunting and not doing a lot of walking maybe the heavy insulated boots will work fine. I wore Sorel boots when stand hunting in Indiana during deer season. By the time my feet started to get cold it was late enough in the morning that I could go back and warm up until the afternoon hunt.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Spike

If you haven't bought a pair of boots yet consider a pair of Wolverine antelope boots sold at Cabelas. I have hunted western wa all my life and am also a professional hunting guide. A good pair of boots are one of the most important things on any hunt. If you are going to be stalking animals and trying to be sneaky these boots are ideal. They aren't the most waterproof but for comfort and sneakiness they are the best I've ever found.. Being a full time hunting guide I spend over 200'days a year in boots and they are the one thing that will make or break a hunt.

Mike Jenkins
Upfrontoutfitter.com

Last edited by Upfrontoutfitter; 05-26-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

This seems like the a similiar question I had a few years ago. Wore my Pronghorn Danners, that is until I purchased a pair of Kenetreks. I have the extreme 400 and have no issues. Not the cheapest pair of boots, but you won't find those who have them willing to give them up

Here is the link
http://www.kenetrek.com/products.asp?dept=12