Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting and Bears

Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

No reason not to carry a sidearm if you want to (assuming that's all legal there) But I dont think bears will be an issue for you! Enjoy
-Jake
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JB Flatlander
I feel alot better now, but I'll probably still pack the sidearm and leave the bear spray in the store.
I would highly recommend you do just the opposite. A can of bear spray weighs a fraction of what a sidearm does. It can accurately be fired from the hip and in general it's a lot more effective. A dose of pepper causes blinding pain, breathing problems and extreme disorientation. Unless you can place a bullet in a moving bears central nervous system he'll brush it off like a mosquito bite. A sidearm might make you feel real macho, but I would seriously recommend the bear spray instead, and I've lived and hunted in bear country my whole life.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree about the bear spray. The minute the bear gets hit with the spray it's running off in another direction. You hit it with a bullet, and it just pisses it off.

Plus, the DOW is not fond of you killing a bear without a tag.