Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Question for all elk hunters, This means you elknut1

Old 08-03-2003, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for all elk hunters, This means you elknut1

My question is this.
I am going archery hunting in my same old spot opening morning. I know for sure there are elk in one general area. I have hunted this area for the last 15-years. I have there food, water & bedding areas pegged down. I know how to get into these areas without being winded, as long as the wind does not change in mid-stalk???
Should I leave the cow call & bugle on there lanyard and go in without a sound?
I am thinking about not calling at all unless I bump the elk?
This is public land in Montana.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Question for all elk hunters, This means you elknut1

Makes sense to me, at least at first, then if now action, try calling.
David/Mo
Old 08-03-2003, 06:35 PM

I would try a bugal first before entering the area to ensure that the elk are infact there on the day you go.... Then I would cow call lightly for the first little way just as a locator....Then when you get to your area I would remain quiet for a while to see what comes by...Hope this answers your question.... GOOD LUCK !!!!!!![8D]
Old 08-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

This as you may know depends(somewhat) on how much hunting pressure there is.I find that during early seasons(muzzle-loader) that there are enough guys/gals calling(and some that should' nt)That if I position myself silently (as you mentioned) In places that hold elk.... DURING hunting season. The elk will go to these places when pressured.Silence for me is KEY!!!!!!.But I do keep the calls handy to hold an elk up for a shot or to disguise movement if needed.I' m no Dwight Shuh but it works for me!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:31 PM
Typical Buck

You say you' ve hunted this area for 15 yrs. With what success? Have you bowhunted it that long? If already successful, stick with what' s working.
If not to successful so far, then yes you need to change it up some. You mention, you know where the elk feed, water and then bed, but don' t say anything about escape routes etc. I' ll also assume because of that there' s not been to much hunting pressure. Are you after any elk? Or bull only? The strategies are different for one or the other.
This is just my opinion, but this is what I' d do. If you' re after any elk like cow or spike, I' d get between feeding and bedding area and cow call. As herd comes up toward their beds they' re not usually single file, but scattered somewhat even though heading up toward their beds. My calling would consist of a mature cow or two with a calf, I' d give excited cow calls mixed in with with single quick calf mews.
Be fairly aggressive with these calls and with wind in your favor. Cows and spikes can' t resist checking out the commotion. This works even better with 2 a caller and a shooter, the caller roughly 50 yds or so behind shooter. Make sure shooter has shooting lanes, and not be to hidden. Once setup call for 2 or 3 mins. stop and listen, rarely will cows or spikes respond vocally, they' ll just come your way. Keep this up for as long as it takes, they will show up. Don' t be seen or smelled.

Now if you' re after a bull, I' d handle it differently. If you try the first method for herd bull only, most likely cows or spikes would show up first and bust you before herd bull comes in. (Bummer) Now when I elk hunt I love to call, that' s just my style, I live for it. I' m not much on sneaking around unless that' s the only alternative. I' d much rather have the elk come to me, it betters my chances of not being seen. I' d start with getting into position, wind in my favor from where I expect elk to be, I try to be even with them or a little higher is ok too, anywhere from 200 to 300yds away providing you have cover so they can' t see you at all.
I' d then give a location bugle, It' s a long high pitch ending with a medium growl. (no grunts) It' s non challenging. Followed by one or two social cow calls, nothing fancy. If elk are there you should get immediate response from the bull, depending on his response is how I' d react next. He could squeal back letting you know this spot is his, or who are you, most bulls know all the bulls in their area by their bugles. Or you might just hear chuckles not grunts, this would mean he' s gathering his cows together for possible escape, avoiding a confrontation with this newcomer. In either case you' ve got the bulls attention and he' s keeping a close eye on his harem, the bull will position himself between you and his cows, that' s a good thing, I' d move in quickly without being seen to at least a 100yds if possible, don' t worry about noise much, have a good setup so you can see his approach once you call. Once in position give him those excited cow calls, 4 or 5 to start, stop and listen and watch, if nothing do it again, be real whiny, he' ll think you fed away from this small bunch of elk he just heard, he shouldn' t say anything as he comes in to hook out this new cow, because he doesn' t want to give away his position. If there' s 2 of you have the caller leave the shooter and backup slowly while still calling so the bull thinks this cow might be leaving, make sure you can' t be seen when moving back. The shooter should have a point blank shot as bull passes by. This scenario has worked for us many times. Good Luck. elknut1

Old 08-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had pretty good sucess in this area, in 15-years I have killed 12-elk. Four of them with a bow. I have been archery hunting for seven years.
I want to kill a big herd bull. One of the things I want to avoid is calling in other hunters. I have never had any luck calling in a big bull the first week of the season. I have called in raghorns & spikes, they all have come in silent. Maybe it' s just me? I think that the opening week (Labor day weekend most years) is so early that the big bulls just aint ready to get cranked up? Opening day this year is September-6th.
My plan was to go in silent & wait for the elk between there feeding & bedding area. If that did not work in the morning? I was going to go sit next to a wallow & wait for the rest of the day.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey wolf killer,you are from MT right?I am to.
Here is what you do call me and tell me where you are hunting and I will come over and shoot the big Bull and you won' t have to worry about it ok.

Nah, just kidding.If I were you I would run silent and sneek in there as close as you can to the elk in the dark.Wait till you can make them out,and follow about 60 yards to the out side of the herd.Get in front at sun light and start cow calling soooooooooo softly,as they get close pick up the tempo.He will be putty in your lap.
Good luck.BBJ
Old 08-04-2003, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

BareBack Jack

My guess is Wolf Killer has tried that method over his 15 yrs in hunting this spot. That' s why he' s taken cows, spikes and raggys, although nothing wrong with that, it' s just now he' d like to take the herd bull or something equal to it. Anytime you get close to a herd of elk and start calling as you suggest, the odds are cows or spikes are the first ones there to check out the newcomer. Although it' s possible for the herd bull to check out this new cow or cows, it' s highly unlikely he' ll be the first one there. If this happens you' ll get busted by critters you' re not interested in and risk the possibility of running them completely out of the area. Now if this bull happens to be alone, that' s a different story.
Wolf Killer, have you considered a makeshift ground blind or treestand, since you know where these elk travel from feeding to bedding? elknut1
Old 08-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I built a ground blind next to a wallow the first weekend in July. I do not own a treestand. I might buy a tree stand to set up between the feeding & bedding area? I was thinking if the weather is hot I might catch a good bull at the wallow during the day?
I have tried to get infront of the herd and call. I must say it does work great if you like to shoot spikes & cows. I aint complaining about the meat. I just want to get a good bull with my bow.
I killed a good mule deer buck with my bow. Now I want a good bull to go on the wall next to him.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut1,

I thought he didnot wan' t to call in other hunters,aparently Wolf Killer is hunting public land.So why go in there with location calls and cow in heat calls?

Wouldn' t it be better to go ahead or lag off a distance and cow call to the herd.

Quick Reply: Question for all elk hunters, This means you elknut1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.